We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around

While in Barcelona, I would like to visit:

1.area of Begur for 1-2 nights

2. Girona

3.Figueres

4.Cadaques

I do not want to rent a car. Is it doable to travel by train or bus/Sara between those places and then get a taxi to go to small medieval villages? Would taxi be very expensive

thank you

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

Hi

Visiting Girona by train is easy enough and well worth the trip.

Begur can be reached by Sarfa bus but its not on the rail network. Visits to the smaller places by public transport will be harder. Alot will depend on when you're going. If its july or August there will be more services.

Taxis are expensive.

Tim

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

I believe I did reply you in another forum...

Being realistic, if you stay 2 nights in Begur (this makes 1 full day and 2 half days in the best scenario), just visiting Figueres, Girona and Cadaques by public transport will be rushed, if at all possible. It *may* be more feasible if you stay in Girona (more bus and train possibilities)

I don't think you have time at all for the smaller villages unless you rent a car, or hire a driver for some hours.... will taxi be an expensive option? yes of course, about 1€ per km plus I believe 25€/hour per waiting time... so it easily sums up.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Thank you, Tim082 and belsaita!

1.I am going in the second half of June.

2.I never drove not automatic car and never drove in Europe - I guess I feel more comfortable with buses/ sarfa/ train.

3. I am planning to stay 1-2 nights in each (areas of Begur, Figueres,Cadaques, Girona)

4. As per this SARFA link - www.sarfa.es/paginas/interurbano_buscador.php -

there are several departures a day connecting Barcelona, heart of C.Brava, Figueres, Girona, Cadaques, all with each other:

Now, how reliable is Sarfa?

again, thank you!

Tyneside, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

Sarfa is reliable, but not terribly frequent to some of the smaller towns such as Begur. I would strongly advise you to hire a car, perhaps taking the train to Girona and hiring it there to avoid the Barcelona traffic if you are worried about driving. But I feel a car is esssential to get the best out of the trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around

Thank you blantie!

Also, which were your favorite places you drove to? Any recommendation on places to stay at? Cheers

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around

I totally agree with Blantie, hire a car to make the most of your visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around

I returned from the trip and it was wonderful. In summary, I was able to use either SARFA, TEISA, or RENFE to get without problems to Begur,Pals, Peratallada, Madremanya, Monells, Girona, Figueres, Cadaques, and Palafrugell. The important thing is to research way in advance the schedule of buses: they vary from day to day; however, their website can tell you exact details, sometimes not even provided to you by a ticket attendant: she told me there are no buses berween Besalu and Figueres, even though I saw the available route on TEISA website - there was a bus that came right as per schedule. Thank you all for your help.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around

Hi Yskaradi, thanks for posting again after your trip. We tend to say hire a car because it is so much simpler in this part of Catalonia. Glad to know it worked out so well for you, well worth all your research!

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around

Hi yskaradi,

Like you I want to do Pyrenees Mountain (Medival village & hikes), Girona,Costa Brava beach with public buses/trains. Can you give me advice on bus/train routes and accomodation recommendations? Is there lodging/BB available at the top/bottom of the Pyrenees Mountain? Does anyone know of any good enough to recommend? Any prompt advice from Yskaradi or anyone else is much appreciated!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around

sarfa.com/paginas/interurbano_buscador.php

http://www.teisa-bus.com/default.asp?c=1

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Hi etraveller

Above are be links to SARFA, TEISA, and RENFE, respectively. You may use these links to check the availability of connections at any specific date. Tickets are bought from the bus driver or at the ticket office in bigger places.

I have not been to Pyrenees; however, I have been to places mentioned above.I have stayed along costa brava in three places: Aguifreda, llafranc, and Cadaques. They are all exquisite and different. If you like to hike, consider cami de Ronda route.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 03:41
Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations