We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

Eindhoven, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

Dear Tripadvisor boards,

Me and my girlfriend would like to go on a vacation to the costa brava. However we are confined to using the public transport as neither of us has gotten their drivers license. We planned on going the first week of September and we are both 22 years old. We did a bit of research ourselves but we found the Spanish public transport websites quite confusing so we are hoping someone is out there that could provide us with some useful advice!

We are looking for a town that is easily accessible by public transport from Girona airport and which isn't too crowded. A quiet beach is the thing we are looking for the most. Another big plus would be if it is also possible to take short trips to other nearby towns or cities by using the public transport.

Is there any such city in the Costa Brava or are we asking for too much now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

Possibly Tossa de Mar might suit www.infotossa.com/indexeng.php

You can take the local bus to visit Girona, Lloret de Mar and Blanes.

Girona airport bus www.sagales.com Bus Tossa de Mar to Barcelona www.sarfa.com

Regional trains from Blanes renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.girona-tourist-guide.com

www.barcelonaturisme.com

You could enjoy a trip to Montserrat from Barcelona, and take the cable car up the mountain to the monastery

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

Lloret de Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

Lloret de Mar has very good links to other places along the coast from the bus station, although it may be too crowded for you. You could possibly look for a hotel in the Fenals area of Lloret which is very quiet but still within easy walking distance from the centre. Or another option for you would be to choose a hotel in either Malgrat or Calella (Costa Maresme) from where you then have the trains to all other resorts as far as Barcelona. Both resorts are still easily reached from Girona airport. Most beaches will most likely be still very busy during the first week of September although, Tossa and Fenals would probably have the quietest beaches.......Jackie

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

I think the request for "quiet beach" would eliminate Lloret de Mar. When in Spain on Costa Brava each and every person I asked about the areas and differences mentioned that Lloret de Mar is party central and to be avoided unless you are looking for a party. I am sure there may be quieter areas of that town but I would go for Tossa...it seems to have a nice combination of beach, old town and enough action for your age group.

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

And if you want to consider the more northern parts of the Costa Brava you could look at Llanca, which has a train stop, or Roses, where there is very limited bus service directly from Girona but it is very easy to take the train to Figueres and then a local Sarfa bus to Roses.

5. Re: Going to the Costa Brava but limited to public transport ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:41