We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
56 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

We are planning to go to the northern Costa Brava mid June. We are a couple in our sixties who dont like big crowded resorts, like walking and exploring. We are thinking about Cadaques but not sure given its relative isolation and stuff i've read about the Tramuntana wind. What do people think? Can you recommend any other places we could look at that arent too overdeveloped.

Many thanks.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Cadaques is beautiful, but, as you say, is a bit isolated.

Begur would be a good option for you, also, Calella de Palafrugell , Llaranc and Tamariu. Assuming you will have transport , any of these places would be a good base from which to explore this lovely area.

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Denise gives good advice on alternatives.

A lot depends on how long you are staying and what you're going to do when you get there. If you're looking for a 2-3 day break and don't plan to travel anywhere else then Cadaques would be perfect.

If on the other hand you want to explore and / or plan to stay longer then the towns Denise suggests would suit you better and you can incoperate a visit to Cadaques. A hire car would good for either option.

There are good costal path walks from C de P inland walks from Begur. June is usually warm.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
56 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Many thanks for your advice!

I think we will look to Begur or Callela de Palafrugell.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

You could consider Girona, even if it's just for a day trip. The Old Town is really beautiful with a fascinating history - great for sightseeing and wandering!

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

I agree with Denise. If you don't want to be too remote Calella de Palafrugell, Llafranc, Tamariu and Begur would suit you better. In June these places wont be that busy. It's a great time to visit.

Have lovely holiday.

Imogen

real-costa-brava.com/best-spain-beaches.html

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Can I add my personal favourite, St Marti d'Empuries. Lovely small village with just 4 restaurants and a couple of shops. Amazing beaches with quiet and laid back beach bars. Nice walks or cycling to the more picturesque side of L'Escala. Not as well known with tourists but very popular for locals. Check it out on the internet. If this is a little too quiet I would go with llafranc which is picture postcard resort with good access and a nice shady sea front walk to calella de palafrugel.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Yes St Marti is indeed lovely and we stayed at the Hostal Empuries a few years ago but our heart lies with Calella de Palafrugell and we shall be back there yet again in September.

Empuries is an easy day trip from the CdeP area and also of course has the Greco-Roman ruins as an added attraction.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Lesley:

One vote for Tossa de Mar.

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Coast? I agree with Derren, much better Sant Martí d'Empúries, closer to everywhere, (on a driving distance) nice coast walking tracks, many restaurants in the nearby L'Escala, museums and even bunkers from the after-war!

Unfortunately almost everywhere is overdeveloped on the coast, although still some hidden remote sites.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
56 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Costa Brava in June: advice on which resort, please

Many, many thanks to you all for your advice. I really appreciate your taking the time to help

Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations