We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Hi,

We plan to explore the Costa Brava for 3-4 days in late August (4 days in Barcelona before, 5 days in San Sebastian & Basque Country after). Does Girona make sense as a base, or is it more convenient to be based in a coastal town? We would like to see Girona, do a little relaxing at the beach (thinking Tossa de Mar or Begar) as well as explore perhaps Besalu. I realize it is quite a crowded time of year... will it be difficult to have a relaxing day at the beach if we are not based in a coastal town? Is beach parking OK if we manage to get there early enough (what time)? What about parking at the other towns/villages?

Finally, any recommendations on specific towns/villages that might be a little more off the beaten track/away from the crowds? We are looking for scenic towns/interesting local flavor and/or activities kids (9&11) might enjoy.

Many thanks!

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

If you want to relax on the beach I'd definitely stay in Begur or nearby. The traffic going to the coast from Girona is very slow in August and you may find yourself sitting in endless traffic jams.

Begur is a great vase for lovely beaches and medieval villages such as Pals and Peratallada .

Beach parking: in many places the nearer you park to the beach, you will need to pay, however if you don't mind a 5-10 min walk, you can park in no pay zones .

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Great advice from Denise.

I would add Monells to that list of nice medieval villages around Begur, all are quite close so not difficult to visit some of them, and by the beach, my favorite town is Calella de Palafrugell.

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

I'd agree to staying near the coast. Preferably choose a hotel with a car park. From Begur you can get the shuttle bus down to the beach. Other coastal resorts to consider are Llafranc and C de P. Much easier to stay at one of these resorts and travel into Girona for the day.

Everywhere will be busy in August so you need to book, many hotels will be full already I think.

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Thanks, everyone, that is super helpful information!

Staying on the coast it is!

In terms of timing, should we still plan for slow going/traffic getting between the coastal towns (ie, from Begur to Peratallada or Monells, etc)?

And with parking, is it generally always available if you are willing to pay or walk 5-10 min? (I ask in clarification because here at Cape Cod in the summer, if you don't go early enough, there can be no parking available at some of the beaches, even paid parking...)

Many thanks again!

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Car parks are generally outside the medieval villages and then you walk in. The villages themselves are mostly traffic free except for residents and the streets too narrow to park in anyway. The car parks are usually big enough but you're right it's best to get to places in good time to make the most of toe visit. Don't know about Besalu though.

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Thanks very much - good to know!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

In Besalú you have two parking lots just beside the old roman bridge, one at each side of road, free of charge. Have not been there in Summer an I usually go early in the morning, so I have found no trouble parking there, cannot tell about summer weekends when there are many day visitors

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Hope it's OK to return to this thread after a bit more research -- having difficulty finding availability in Begur (as well as Llafranc and C de P) for our dates. Wondering about the plausibility of staying in Palafrugell or Pals (or some other scenic village not directly on the coast, but not too far inland). Would this be reasonably convenient for driving to and spending the day in Begur, Llafranc, etc? We'd probably want to spend some tim on the beach, maybe an afternoon coastal hike, some time in Begur, as well as some time exploring some of the villages like Pals, Peratallada, or Monells.

Also, if our next stop is Bilbao (by car, stopping over for the night probably at Zaragoza), is it worth making the detour to Besalu on the way? It sounds lovely, but don't know how different it is than Pals, etc., and am conscious of the kids' limits as far as time in car...

Many thanks again!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Judge for yourself:

BESALÚ: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/besalu/

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 days in August, Girona as base?

Pals, Tamariu, Aigua Blava are all coastal resorts you could try. Inland you could try around La Bisbal where there are some nice places. Palafrugell works logistically but is more of a working town, though there is good market.

Best of luck

Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations