We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Porthmadog?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Porthmadog?

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and i are about to spend 2 nights in Porthmadog? We are looking to do some hiking and mountain biking, can anyone recommend any great mountain biking trails, maybe along a river or to a waterfall? We have a car to get around so wont be needing public transport, is there a bigger town close by to drive to one night for dinner and some nightlife? Ive also heard there is a great mounatin bike park close by ( coed y brenin) is this worth a look? Any romantic spots to visit plus good resturants anyone can recommend would be great.

Thankyou

Lauren :)

5 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Porthmadog?

Sounds as though you plan to come quite soon. Is that correct? If in the next few weeks then be prepared for the weather not being very suitable for hiking unless you are experienced and have the right clothes and footwear.

Sorry, not into mountain biking so can´t advise though Coed y Brenin sounds great. Just check they are open at this time of year.. Many places and attractions(eg Snowdon Mountain Railway ) find it not worth their while to open before Easter.

As for ´bigger ´town you are talking Bangor, or better still Llandudno both of which are a fair drive from Porthmadog . Not sure what you are looking for as ´nightlife´ Bangor is a university town so has a reasonable range of drinking places. Not a lot else in North Wales, particularly at this time of year unless you want to investigate what is on at Theatr Cymru in Llandudno

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Porthmadog?

Forgot to address the romantic places .... Try nearby Portmeirion which is open all year as are the castles at Caernarfon and Harlech.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Porthmadog?

Hi

No real big towns nearby but hope i can help

There is a nice restaruant in nearby Cricceth called Tir-a-Mor. Cricceth is a nice quiet little sea side town. Furter down the road and onto the Llyn Peninsula itself there are some more places. Abersoch, despite being a small town, probably has the biggest choices or places to eat. It gets very busy in high season (and some folks dont like it for this reason-its a big sailing spot) but out of season its much more laid back-worth checking what nights of the week places are open if going out of season. Venetia ( a boutique hotel) has a nice restaraunt attached. There is a good pub called "twnt ar arfon" in a (very) little village called Rhyd-y clafdy near Pwllheli.

If i can think of any suggestions i'll post them

enjoy

Aidan

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Porthmadog?

ps-that coed y brenin place looks very good

i found the website of a hotel that had some links to some rides the glyn y coed hotel

also-in porthmadoc there is the steam train up to blanaeu (the stain is just on the edge of town)-think you might be able to take your bikes up to the top and then?cycle down but i'd check first- the steam train is a great little trip (takes about an hour and a half i think to get up to blanaeu) through great scenery.

aidan

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Porthmadog?

Thanks alot for the info guys it really helps, yeah we will be going mid march so hopefully weather might be better, will have to have a look at whats open at that time :)

Reply to: 2 nights in Porthmadog?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog