We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Stoke-on-Trent...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. We are due to take a holiday in Borth Y gest. We don't have transport so we need to rely on Bus, Rail, I can find rail information however I can not find anything about buses from Borth Y Gest to Porthmadog. One of the website we saw mentioned about a short level walk to Porthmadog, I have been looking on Google Maps but can't find any shortcuts to Porthmadog. Can someone suggest an easy route to walk to Porthmadog as well as the Bus.

nantwich
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport

Tesco is v near the railway station. Borrow one of their shopping trolleys for your luggage and Borth Y Gest is about a mile and a half further on.

Failing to procure a shopping trolley I'm sure that a taxi will be available at the station.

I'm unsure of the situation with regards to the availability of buses, there used to be a service to Borth Y Gest

Best of luck and enjoy your stay

Stoke-on-Trent...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport

thanks, the tourist information office emailed me a timetable and they still run the 99 bus

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport

Timetable here if the link works:

…traveline-cymru.info/pdfs/…1

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
657 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport

I would ignore RichardO's advice re taking a trolley from Tesco, it is illegal to take trolleys from stores other than within their car park. They are the stores property & you can be fined for handling stolen goods.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
962 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport

The footpath from Borth y Gest to Porthmadog starts by the beach at Borth y Gest. It's then a simple walk to the harbour at Porthmadog. Unfortunately it's some years since I did this walk, so I can't remember how long it takes; but it's not more than about half an hour.

Porthmadog, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport

Ok, Google Maps really doesn't like the road and I haven't been able to drag and drop the route to show you where it is...but have a look at this link http://goo.gl/maps/Jasfh I've dragged the A to where the road starts...it's right next to the beach, you go up a few steps...then when the road branches - left takes you along a 'main' road (I say main, what I mean is a road that can be driven on, it's by no means a main road), but what you want to do is turn right down the little footpath...keep following this footpath down, and you'll come out by a boatyard...keep walking along this road - look out for pot-holes cause there are HUNDREDS! lol. you'll pass 3-4 boatyars, and a scout-hut and you eventually come out by the harbour. The whole walk probably takes about 10-15 minutes.

There is an alternative route along the main road - but this one's quicker and easier, and more pedestrian friendly.

I hope this helps, and if you need any more info feel free to drop me a message - I'd be pleased to help....and I've grown up in Porthmadog and spent my childhood walking back and forth to Borth y Gest so I'm quite familiar with the area :)

I hope you enjoy your visit anyway :)

7. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog