We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening life

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Evening life

My partner and I are coming to stay in September (going to Festival 6 for a day).

We're quite good and entertaining ourselves and have been for the day several times after staying at Criccieth a couple of years age.

I'm fairly confidant about keping ocupied during the day but am after ideas for evening.

We don't really eat out too much and are staying at Snowdon wharf apartments self catering. Is there a cinema nearby at all and where's the best pub to spend the evening?

3 replies to this topic
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening life

I've toured the pubs of Porthmadog and I have to say there's nowhere I'd really want to spend an evening. Nothing shocking you understand, just not great.

If you can designate a driver, eat at The Grapes at Maentwrog and then pop up to the community-owned old hotel in Llan Ffestioniog, The Pengwern Arms.

Porthmadog, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening life

Cinema's a no-no I'm afraid..well, you could entertain yourself for perhaps 5 minutes admiring the old building that's just been bought. The nearest cinema would be Cineworld in Llandudno Junction (a good hour away) - but it's always worth checking what's on at Y Galeri in Caernarfon - they show films and have art displays etc etc.

The local pub scene has changed quite a bit recently, with a lot of places coming under new ownership/management. None of them really stand out as a 'must visit' place in the evenings.

If you like a spot of ten-pin bowling, there's Glasfryn Park towards Pwllheli- they're open 'til late. http://www.glasfryn.co.uk/

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening life

Your nearest pub is Spooners Bar on the Ffestiniog Railway platform, they serve the local Purple Moose beer. If the weather is good you can drink it in the platform beer garden! Would also recommend Pethau Melys for fantastic rustic pizza, Sima for a curry and also The Ship for another beer. The Purple Moose Brewery also do tours.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 12:23
Reply to: Evening life
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted