We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of North Wales rail pass?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best use of North Wales rail pass?

Think this will best fit my travel needs as per my other post here. It is good for 4 days of train and 8 days of bus travel during 8 consecutive days that fits in with last 8 days of my trip there.

Question has to do with what day long type travel via train would be best value. Last day will be train from Rhyl to Manchester airport with other 3 train days out of Llandudno with Rhyl connections because of workshops at St. Beunos.

Will likely have luggage so not so much interested in getting on and off a lot and exploring towns as getting a feel for North Wales landscape.

I had a look at route maps as well as scenic routes and will do a bit more research in terms of schedules but welcome any suggestions in that regard.

Ireland
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

Perhaps the Conwy Valley line:

www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/ConwyValley/

The run along the North Wales mainline from Rhyl to Holyhead has nice coastal and mountainous views as far as Bangor (e.g. Puffin Island).

A few minutes outside Bangor the train crosses the Menai Strait - Telford's suspension bridge can be spotted on the right. A few minutes later is the station of Llanfair P.G. (the full name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch as the station nameboard displays!) . Some trains stop there. The run across Anglesey is rural with sheep in fields. The train terminates at Holyhead. Quite often one could return on the same train in a matter of minutes. Alternatively a hot drink in the terminal (also shared with the ferries to Dublin/Dún Laoghaire). The town centre is just a short walk over the Celtic Gateway pedestrian bridge if a meal is desired.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

Great - thanks, as want to see Anglesey.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

If heading North West Wales - make sure you don't miss Portmeirion tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g552012-…

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

I agree that Conwy Valley line is beautiful but are you sure that the pass is the best use of your money? If you want a taste of Welsh scenery you might be better with trips on several little trains of Wales eg Welsh Highland railway, Bala Lake railway, Llanberis lake railway, Snowdon railway.

The main line route along the coast has good coastal views but going across Anglesey towards Holyhead is pleasant but uneventful. If you are lucky with weather on the return journey from Holyhead you get great views of Snowdon.

I agree also that Portmeirion is attractive but it is time consuming to get to by public transport from Rhyl

Edited: 20 November 2012, 08:36
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

Thanks. Will see what weather etc is closer to time before deciding on type of pass as the daily Rover might be a better fit.

6. Re: Best use of North Wales rail pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Rhyl
Recent Conversations