We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marine park owners treatment

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
marine park owners treatment

Subject: Marine Holiday Park

Location: Rhyl, Denbighshire, North Wales, Wales, United Kingdom, Europe

Title: in my opinion dont buy a van on this site

ID#: 192753254

the words i would like to use for these people i prefer not too but believe me i have been very close indeed. i can not make your mind up but i feel you need you to know what our experience was.

we purchased a caravan because my wife had cancer and i asked many questions about electricity supplies and gas etc, we were assured that the company was extremely profesional and there would be no problems. we finally purchased something a lot more expensive than we first imagined but it was an escape for the wife so it needed central heating and double glasing. it had decking around already and had been on the cover of the marine holiday park brochure as a show van so we thought the £27000 would be valid considering it was comfortable and what my wife needed. i asked if it was possible to leave the heating on at all times because we would be coming down every week and at diiferent times and my wife would sometimes be on her own, again they said no problems at all as you pay for the electric as you go and the gas is billed to you. We signed and paid up. we were quite exited at the idea and once the van was ready we went and set it alll up put the heating on and went home planning to come back in a few days so that my wife could rest, the next week we travelled down and although it was late we got on the site and went to the van.AND THEN IT STARTED. some one had turned the gas and electric off the boiler was off and all the pipes had frozen, burst and flooded the caravan and we had to spend two nights in a hotel whilst we got it sorted. when telling them they replied we do switch caravans off for winter and winterise them, and when i said i had agreed for it to be left on because we would be using it until close down in january.they said claim off your insurance to which i refused telling them it was their fault, they did get it dried out under duress. the next few months were continues visits to the office about power being turned off and no water and gas beeing turned off, this was not what we purchased it for, we were having more hassle than ever in our lives. i could go on and on but i have lived it once and that enough surfice to say it was a nightmare and the attitude of some of the staff but not all was disgracefull. in the end we decided to sell the van and as in the contract we informed marine, at which point they said after we had had it only two years it was not worth anything but when i said i will take it off the site then they agreed to sell it for us and suddenly the value was £19995 sowe signed a contract to sell it either through marine where they get 15% or our selves where they get 20%, these may have changed now. over the next few months we had 4 people interested, 2 that we sent ourselves and on each occasion the office either said they did not anything about it or we owed money on it so it could not be sold or the decking had to be removed or it was to old and had to go off site and then followed it up with, BUT WHY NOT LOOK AT THIS OTHER ONE WE HAVE. this i believe is disgracefull,at one point they rang me up and said someone had offered £6000, mmm i wonder who, they complained that i had a sign up in the window and i should not, i replied but how can i sell it you tell people you know nothing about it and the sighn says go to the office anyway. the attitude of the saleman was shocking to say the least, this treatment should not be given to anyone never mind someone who was going through cnacer treatment. i decide to get it off the site as were many other people, so i arranged for another caravan site to collect it for me. however not so easy as you think. £600 for disonection please, pay all fees to the end of the year even though we had two mothns left to go so i paid just to get it off, the other company went to collect it but it had not been disconected, i suppose twenty minutes is a lot of time to shedual in, i could do it myself but still a charge of £600. and then there was £250 to tidy the grass where the decking had been up it tokk from october until january to get it disconnected the other sight owners went to pick it up three times. finally on thursday 30 january 2014 i had a phone call. sir we can not let the van off untill you pay another £40 for gas you have used. im sorry we have not used any heating as we havnt been down and when we moved the deckeing in october everything was turned off and disconected. they said well we put a meter on and its used £40.

i was imposible i said no one has been down its been made ready for moving. they replied im sorry we will not let it off unless you apy the £40. this company held us to ransom because they had our van, we had to pay what ever they decided or they would not let it off. personally i think they will be getting a very bad name in the undustry and i believe they will see alot of people leaving their site, we noticed quite a few when we were leaving. you make your own mind up but that is some and not all that we experienced.

6 replies to this topic
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marine park owners treatment

OMG what dreadful treatment you have received. North Wales is a wonderful place. My parents had a van on Greenacres Black Rock Sands for over 25 years and were valued caravan owners throughout. Good luck with your new site and maybe others will read your review and learn from your experience.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marine park owners treatment

yes i agree it is a lovely area and hopefully now we will enjoy it at the new place.

take care

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marine park owners treatment

I'm sure you now realise that static caravan owners have little legal protection or none at all and the site owners can do pretty much what they like. Really the only protection you have is the contract between you and the site owner. These are normally very heavily weighted in favour of the site owner and always include selling on their site. Some even restrict the traders you can use on the park to a small approved list. I hope you have a contract on your new site. You should read it very carefully and insist the owner abides by it.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marine park owners treatment

thanks for the info. i havent got a contract yet as it is just moving to it but i will get the magnifying glass out to check every word.thank you again

Ray

Wirral
Level Contributor
401 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marine park owners treatment

What a rough deal, so sorry to hear this sad story, especially in your predicament, however, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to buy a caravan in Rhyl of all places?, £27,000 for something that will depreciate beyond beleif in a matter of a few years, £27,000 can buy you many many holidays in the not too distant Spain, without worrying if the heating will be on, food cooked, beds made, no extra costs for electricity gas, water ect, sorry if this offends anyone as there is no intention but I just dont get it., The very best of luck RPD for the future.

EG: we have just returned from spain, flights cost £55 each , hotel H/B for 3 x nights £150,Total £260 ,

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marine park owners treatment

You are correct of course but when you find that your wife has cancer and you live in a pub you need somewhere that she can go to escape the noise and stress and we needed it quickly. So what price do you put on a situation like that.

the money was the last consideration, it was a rash decision which we probably would not have taken under normal circumstances but it was done and even though the treatment was disgusting there were times that she rested.

in the end it took us 4 months to get it off as marine used every delay tactic in the book the transfer trucks were turned away 4 times and it cost nearly a thousand pounds to get it off the park and they still demanded £43.00 ponds on the last day for gas we didn't use. They said either pay up or the van will not be let off the park. Marine holiday park gave us the most disgusting treatment I have ever come across in any service industry of which I have been in my self. As far as Spain is concerned we enjoy going there and will again soon. thanks for your comments and take care.

Reply to: marine park owners treatment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rhyl
Recent Conversations