We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is the water?

colorado
Level Contributor
728 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
how is the water?

i've read elsewhere that the water (the sea) off Isla Holbox is murky--not the clear turquoise of the caribbean. Is this true? And--is the water off Isla Mujeres nicer? Thanks!

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
777 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is the water?

Isla Holbox faces the Gulf of Mexico, so the water is not the blue you will find off Cancun or Tulum. The water is still clear and clean, but because of the currents, the lack of a barrier reef and the shallow water, the water is not as clear. I would compare the water clarity to the Gulf Coast of Florida. The water is not murky, just not as clear as the Caribbean. We enjoyed the beach at Holbox. It is a totally different experience than the Caribbean coast of Mexico.

Enjoy

colorado
Level Contributor
728 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how is the water?

hi, thanks for writing! can you explain why your experience was 'totally different' from the caribbean side--or is it due to what you just explained to me?

Mound, Mn
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is the water?

Main difference is, the water is a beautiful green, as opposed to a beautiful blue ;^)

Holbox's beach is very calm water, sort of like Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres.

But you'll have about a hundred times the amount of beach that you'd have on Isla, and far, far less people.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how is the water?

This was very interesting to read :)

Green water? I don't know if that's good...or bad....

But there are no erosion on the beach (I mean, there is beach on Holbox)?

I have been in Playa del Carmen and the color of ocean was just amazing (turquoise and most of the days pretty clear)! But the erosion of the beach, so many people/crowded....

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how is the water?

After looking some pictures on flickr, I have to say the "green" water does look very good (at least in the pics) :)

I want to go there, right now!

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how is the water?

I have to share with you some of the pics I did find from flickr, showing the green ocean:

…flickr.com/1313/1196613060_76fface898.jpg…

…flickr.com/1309/1170231175_f7bfd53c87.jpg…

…flickr.com/1173/773560737_95c193977a.jpg…

Here the water looks pretty blue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4x6/901253858/

I hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I did :)

Mound, Mn
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how is the water?

All I meant is the water has picked up some sand close by shore. The water is blue further out.

8. Re: how is the water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island