We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

Hi everyone,

First-time poster travelling to Holbox from the Tulum area 7/8-7/11. I've narrowed my choices to La Palapa (like that it's right on the beach, and really cheap) and Las Tortugas. I definitely want beachfront so that will factor into my decision. I know at Las Tortugas I will have to pay more for a beach bungalow since it doesn't appear that the standard rooms have beach view.

any recommendations either way?

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

There's not a lot of difference between the two. You will want beachfront, though, since neither one has a/c and it will be hot and humid July.

florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

I am going to be staying at the La Palapa the frist two weeks of June, and they do have A/C if you ask for it, and they are on the beach.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

My bad. Lino must have added A/C when he rebuilt after Wilma. There is a $10 surcharge per night for A/C. You can see the details here: http://www.hotellapalapa.com/tariffe-ing.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

Another place I'm seriously looking into is Villas Chimay - thoughts on that place? I'm a solo female traveller, and I'm wondering if it's better to be closer to town? I know Palapa is pretty close, but I think Chimay is a bit further, right? Thanks for the responses.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

Hi. I've booked myself into Casa Las Tortugas and received the following information regarding the room:

"All our nice rooms count with the following amenities:

- 250 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Percale Sheet Set

- Bath Amenities hand made with Chocolate and natural flavors from YUCATAN community

- Beach Towels

- Air conditioning

- Breakfast “de la Casa"

- Safety box"

So it seems there is AC in the rooms. I'm also travelling as a solo female and a friend recommended this hotel. Check out their website which is really personal (even introducing the staff) http://www.holboxcasalastortugas.com/

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

That must be something fairly recent. Maybe since Wilma? I know they had a lot of work done after the hurricane.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

BDABird - which room did you book? A couple of things I'm hesitant about regarding las tortugas is I've heard it's close to a disco, and an 80% deposit seems awfully high. Does that sound right to anyone else? Most places ask for 30-50%.

otherwise, i think it's the prettiest hotel I've seen there....

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

I've booked a standard room but will likely upgrade. I hadn't heard about the disco being close by so perhaps someone else can confirm that. I actually paid 100% which saves me having to carry cash to pay when I arrive. It is a large deposit but I can only suggest you ask to pay 30 to 50% initially and then top up closer to your arrival.

florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

Base on the info here, I have change to Las Tortuga, and will be there in two weeks, I am also useing Wille VIP Holbox for transfers from airport and have been very happy all my contacs.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: La Palapa or Casa las Tortugas?

I'm just back from Holbox and thought I'd give a bit of an update. I stayed in the standard room at Tortugas and there was no beach view from most rooms (including mine). The hotel was fine and I liked that they had a simple breakfast included and a bar serving food/snacks for most of the day. The hotel is right on the beach, is close to the water and the golf cart "road" does not go through their beach. I think there was a disco a couple doors down from Tortugas but it didn't bother me (either because it was slow season or the fan/ac drown out the noise. Mawimbi hotel is right next door and seems similar if you want to get slightly further away. If you have any more questions, just let me know.