We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Am trying to decide which of these to book for the last 4/5 nights of our honeymoon.

Would be interested in any of your recommendations!

florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Iam not sure about the hotels you have asked about, but you might want to ck out Hotel Casa Las Tortugas, I fround it to be great, they have everything you will need, and close to the center of town. great beach and service.

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Mawimbi is actually right next door to tortugas and the same building style. They both have exactly the same ammenities and are charming for a honeymoon.

Chimay is an older build, far from town, more of an ecological experience, not for everyone but great for some.

Mapaches has private bungalos within a garden. No AC, I dont think, but also very charming and close to town. Al are beachfront.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Thanks!

Sounds like it is between Mawimbi and Los Mapaches.

I think casa tortugas is a little more expensive than Mawimbi - which is why I ruled it out.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

When is your honeymoon? You may not need AC if you are going in the months that are not so brutally hot. We will be staying at Los Mapaches in January and have communicated with Rosy there regarding several things. She is WONDERFUL and I have heard nothing but rave reviews regarding this place. I have actually emailed back and forth with a gentleman that has stayed there and he said that it was really a paradise and that the grounds are beautiful and located very close to town. We have the Orange Palapa booked.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

it is in early November. So am hoping it will not be too hot!

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

My daughter and I just got back and totally loved the island. It's incredible. We stayed at the Mawimbi, really nice room. Ask for the turtle room, has a large balcony and good size room. Next door is Casa Las Tortugas, it is beautiful as well. I couldn't recommend one over the other, except the bartender at the Tortugas, Jeff, is great. Oh, I wish I was going. Ask any other questions. We loved the island, one of the best vacations I have ever had.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

I was on Holbox in June and visited all three. I can offer my impressions. It very much depends on what you are looking for.

Chimay is the farthest from town and offers a lot of privacy. The beach there was deserted when I walked past. I stopped in and had a drink and made-to- order guacamole in the little restaurant. It is beautiful. Don't be frightened by the composting toilets--yes it was a little weird but not at all smelly. The rooms were very simple and the whole place charming in a rustic way. It was spotlessly clean, but there were few amenities. I love the swinging beds. You may want to use the bikes or taxis to get into town as it seems like a longish walk int he hot sun. If you want nightlife or to be going to the shops or restaurants in town on a regular basis, this is probably not the place for you. If you want the beach to yourself and to swim away from the boats and people, you will love it.

Mawimbi is on the beach right in town. If you want to be in the middle of things, this is the place for you. It is also charming, and somewhat rustic, but with lots of lovely touches. The bar is lively in the evenings and a good place to meet people. The rooms are comfortable and the whole place has a lot of lovely touches that really make is quirky and unique. there is a great beach shack near by that serves freshly caught grilled fish. But the beach is very busy here and the fishing boats come and go, so it is not as good for swimming. There is a disco nearby, too, which can be noisy. Next door is Hotel Tortugas which I actually liked a bit more because it is so nicely decorated, but the two are very similar.

Mapaches is between town and Chimay (closer to town). It is set in a gorgeous garden. The rooms are lovely (especially the rose and orange palapas). They have kitchens which is nice (I think some of the rooms as Mawimbi do, too). There is no bar there, so it is quiet and peaceful, but just a short walk to town. The beach is great for swimming.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Hadn't seen the Palapa before! This seems a bit cheaper than Mawimbi / Mapaches.

Is it as nice?

Also, the bungalows at Mawimbi, how close to the sea are they? Do they have a sea view?

New York City
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

I took my second trip to Holbox in March 2008 and stayed in the Orange Palapa at Los Mapaches. Mawimbi is in the center of town on a very crowded beach. Chimay is lovely but far from town. I would be reluctant to walk that far in the dark for dinner, etc. The beach at Chimay also had some serious erosion during last winter. Los Mapaches is wonderful. However, the next time I go I will stay in the Pink Palapa instead of the Orange one because there is a large "fishing lodge" that literally abuts the Orange one. I was awakened almost every morning by loud men screaming at each other on the deck next to the Orange one.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mawimbi / Los Mapaches / Chimay

Although I have not personally stayed in the Orange palapa, we are planning our first trip there in January. I have corresponded with several folks that have traveled there over the last year and these people have stayed in the Orange palapa. I have not heard anyone complain about the noise and all have advised us that Los Mapaches was one of the best areas with a nice beach and closely located to town. Hope you find what you are looking for!