We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
knoxville, tn
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

We are interested in taking a day trip to Holbox Island from Cancun. Is the highway safe? I have read of robberies and such. Should we take a taxi? What is the bus like? Any info is appreciated.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,682 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

Yes the highway is safe. Never heard of any robberies in this area at all.

The only bus is the Mayab second class bus to Chiquila where you will catch the ferry. I believe, if memory serves me right, the bus ride is a bit over 3 hours.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

We just got back from this. Personally, I think that a day trip is sort of a bad idea. It will take 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hrs with the ferry almost any way you swing it. The last Mayab bus to leave is around 1:30, which is also the time the first arrives from cancun.

Highway seemed fine, but we took the bus. It's kind of a long ride, stops a lot.. but if you have a book you're good to go. Holbox is so great you're gonna want to stay there longer. It takes a while to relax into the swing of things.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

You could do it in a day trip, but I don't think it would be good. If you do, definitely take a taxi(about $90 each way from Cancun to Chiquila) and leave early in the morning. The taxi ride is about 2 hours from the airport, then you take the ferry ($4 each way in Jan 08) then walk or take a golf cart/cab to the beach. Just remember, this is real Mexico. The ferry leaves when the driver is ready, after he's talked to all his friends, checked on his kids and the boat is full. Just enjoy the laid-back atmosphere, it's what makes it fun.

Many of the really good restaurants are only open in the evening and evening is when the town comes alive, so a day trip would miss all of this. I don't know how late the taxi's stay at the ferry dock in Chiquila, but I think the last ferry back is 7pm. If I were you, I would stay at least one night. Just IMHO. I went last year and am headed back in January. I LOVE IT THERE. Have fun!

US
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

I'm going to Holbox after flying into Cancun, and was thinking of taking the bus to save cost. I'm looking for advice from someone who's done this... how should we get from the airport to the bus terminal? How do we know which bus to get on? Do we purchase tickets on the bus, or do we need to purchase in advance? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,682 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

From the Cancun airport, ADO runs first class buses to the ADO central terminal about every 20 minutes. At the ADO terminal, as you would enter from the front of the building, the second class bus ticket windows are on the far left. The bus line is Mayab and you will see the schedule on a board above the ticket windows. Just go to the windows and tell them ¨ Chiquila¨ . They will tell you where to buy the ticket.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

There are 3 buses a day to Chiquila - 7:50am, 12:40pm, and 1:30pm. The first two are on Mayab, and the last is on Noreste. And when you say Chiquila, be sure and put the accent on that final 'a'. It will make more sense to the people in the bus station.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,682 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

Good points. And I forgot Noreste--I try to forget them. I do avoid them , when possible.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

You and I agree on that point. I only take the 1:30 bus if I've missed the first two and must get to Holbox that day yet.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

Just a quick note.

This past summer when I went to Holbox my plan was to take the bus from the Cancun airport to the ADO station. I bought my ticket no problem at the airport but the bus we were waiting on never showed. We were on such a tight schedule that we had to fork over some cash to take a taxi to the station instead.

So . . lesson learned. If your schedule is tight, just take the taxi to the bus station and save yourself some anxiety.

US
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from Cancun to Holbox Island

Thanks to everyone for your help! Great information, I feel much more confident about knowing what to do when I get there. I think it's great advice to take a cab from the airport to the bus terminal.