We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

I hope this isn't inappropriate for this forum...If it is, feel free to tell me! I'm coming to Holbox next week, but may also want to see more of the Yucatan while i'm in Mexico. Are there other places that reflect the ambiance of Holbox (beautiful beaches, etc., not too touristed, fairly inexpensive) that you'd recommend? I'm looking at Tulum, but besides that don't really know. Thanks for any advice!

And thanks for all the Holbox advice--i can't wait to see it in person! :)

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

Tulum's beaches are gorgeous. Where's pepper when we need her? Maybe she'll see this and chime in. She loves Tulum and knows it well.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,314 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

I really know nothing in the area to compare to the Holbox feel. While Tulum is good, to me its much more developed and touristy than Holbox. I have others will have some good ideas.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
58 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

Check out the Sian Ka'an Biosphere which is just South of Tulum, lots of nature and beautiful beaches. If you keep on driving South you'll get to Punta Allen, a small fishing village.

Along the way there are a few places to stay.

In Punta Allen have lunch at Muelle Viejo. Reasonably priced seafood, cheap cold beer, on the water.

We went last year and loved the area. We stayed at Cesiak which is in the biosphere, closer to Tulum (http://www.cesiak.org/).

Am going to Holbox in two weeks and am hoping that it will be similar to Punta Allen.

Trabuco Canyon, CA
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

I have not yet been to Holbox, am going this summer. I also looked into staying in a beach house in Telchac Puerto over on the Merida side of Yucutan. You might check out the beaches over there, the small towns all sound like small fisihing towns and in one thing I read, it compared a town to Holbox. Tulum is wonderful, I have traveled so many places in the world and Tulum is my favorite. I know it is growing :( so you should go there before it changes too much.

colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

Thank you so much for the responses! I hope to check out the Tulum/biosphere area. And IXH, i have seen lots of Pepper's posts on Tulum--she seems very knowledgeable!

6. Re: Other places in Mexico that have Holbox feel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 19:17