We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito problem?

charlotte
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquito problem?

did anyone experience a really bad problem with mosquitos there? we are considering going next month. thanks!

colorado
Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito problem?

I went to Holbox in February, and was very apprehensive about the mosquitos after reading posts here. However, they were virtually nonexistent! Perhaps it was the time of year, or the wind (though even on the calmer days they weren't there), but i was very pleased!

charlotte
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito problem?

thanks so much for writing back! i really appreciate that! we have heard conflicting reports, and I have a pretty bad reaction to them.

have a great weekend!

colorado
Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito problem?

you're welcome! But i do suggest you check out other posts...Seems that the mozzies CAN be a problem at times, and bringing lots of DEET is recommended! Have a great trip.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito problem?

I was fine every night for two weeks with deet bug spray on during mosquito time "when the sun is setting" one evening I foolishly sprayed a scented body spray on and had 200 mosquito bites the next day, no kidding. It was painful but my own fault and thankfully it was at the end of my trip. I would say your gold with deet bug spray but take it from me avoid the perfum or hairspray it's like a bloody magnet :)

British Columbia
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito problem?

We are here (Holbox) now and at night with little wind I had a few bites. I have since been using 'Off" with 28% deet and no bites at all. Not a problem at all most of the time as there is almost always a breeze.

6. Re: Mosquito problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island