We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing Plans

Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing Plans

We are leaving in 1 week for Holbox. I have been gathering as much info from this Forum as possible. I hope I have it right. Our plane lands in Cancun at 10:00 AM. We then exchange US dollars for pesos at the airport (best rate?). We then find the ADO bus that goes to the downtown terminal, keeping all our luggage (4 pieces) with us on the bus. 40 pesos pp. We then arrive at the downtown bus terminal. At that point the last bus to Chiquila leaves at 1:30 PM. Should we be looking for the Mayab Bus or the Noreste Bus? Cost for this trip? We should have time to have lunch or a drink and look around before boarding the bus. Anything we need to pick up at this point before heading to Holbox? OK. So far, so good, I think. At Chiquila we will then catch the ferry to Holbox. Cost? Once again, anything we need to get before heading over? Once we arrive we catch a taxi to Golden Beach Paradise in town, they will then transport us to the beach. Yeahhhhh... Using The List, we will arrange for places to eat and drink. Bikes for rent-$10.00 Golf Cart-$70 Whale Shark Tour arrange directly with the locals on beach, 800-900 pesos? Please check me and let me know if I have this right. Any help appreciated.

Holbox Adventure
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours
Jimmy Tours Holbox
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing Plans

Your best rate for peso exchange will be at the ATM in the customs area(Terminal 3).

No reason to keep all your luggage on the bus with you. You can put it in the luggage compartment under the bus. Only keep those with you that have valuables, passports, etc. in them.

Since your plane arrives that early, I'm guessing you'll make the 12:40 Mayab bus. It's a better experience than the 1:30 Noreste. The last time I used the bus the cost was 74 pesos/person.

The cost of the ferry is 60 pesos/person. You'll find the stores in Holbox better stocked than those in Chiquila

For whale shark tour, use the operator recommended by milikis on THE LIST - Willy at Mini-Super Besa just off the square.

Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing Plans

So we're on the right track, huh? Thanks for your help. Anything we are forgetting?

3. Re: Finalizing Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question