We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return From Holbox !!!!

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Return From Holbox !!!!

We just returned from Holbox following a 1 week stay on the island, then another week in Puerto Morelos. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I will hit the high lights and answer any questions I can.

First, the trip there was painless. I was concerned about the busses, schedules, etc. Very simple and cheap. I see no reason why anyone would take a taxi. Save your money.

We arrived at the airport at 10:30 AM. Collected our luggage and walked outside and ask for the bus to the downtown bus terminal. We received our ticket right there, which was $4. Took this bus downtown, went into the terminal and read the signs, finding the bus to Chiuquela(?) Paid approx $8. The busses were all very nice, clean, A/C with reclining seats. The trip took almost 3 hrs. Watching all the scenery through the different towns was a plus. Napped and read. Arrived at Chiuquela(?), drank a few beers out on the sidewalks and bought a ticket to the ferry. Approx $7. Offers from locals to take their boat if wanted. 30 mins later we arrived on Holbox. Their are golf cart taxi's to take you to where you are staying. I know very little Spanish and they know very little English, but it works. Off we go !!!

We stayed at Golden Paridise Beach, at the west end of the island. Perfect. Bedroom, bath, hot plate, frig, A/C, coffee maker, upstairs, for $63 a night.You walk out of your room, down the stairs, and you are directly in the ocean. Most days we were the only ones there. It's about a 15 min walk into town. You can walk the beach in both directions forever. Secluded and the perfect location for us.

We ate at many restuarants and they were all great. Plus at many of the vendors at night. There is place after place you can stop and eat at all around the same price. Breakfast around $3-5, lunch and dinner approx $6 on up. Chicken(whole)and the trimmings to go for $10. Food and drink are plentiful. Mini supers for beer. Make sure you bring a collapsable cooler and Bubba mugs if you are a beer drinker.

We used Willi for our shark tour, which was amazing. They are there and huge. Snorkeled several times that day with them and was just in awe. $75.

Weather was hot and perfect. Did alot of walking. Rented a bike toward the end and wished we would have rented one all week. $8 for-24 hrs. We explored the places for rent and for sale, swam, read, drank, ate, and just layed back. The people were all nice and helpful and I wish we knew more Spanish. I always take a small English-Spanish book with me which helps. We met no other English speaking people there. It seems this is where people from other areas of Mexico vacation.

Very glad we toured Holbox and have no complaints.

Thanks to all the research on the forum and everyones help, it was a great week.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

Chiquila - pronounced chee kee LAH, putting the accent on the last syllable.

So glad you such a great vacation. Travelers like you are the ones who enjoy Holbox the most.

Monroe NY
Level Contributor
285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

Thanks for writing your review. It sounds great!

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

Great review!Thanks for posting. Any pics? :)

colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed Golden Paradise hotel!! I, too, thought i was one of the most divine places...I miss the birds that perch on the posts in the morning, and the beautiful sunsets and moon rises. Hope you got to talk with Femmy and Gabi a bit, too--they're really nice.

Glad you got a top-floor room--makes all the difference! If you can imagine, when i was there we had a Nor'Easter, and the stairs *literally* dropped into the churning sea...I had to move to a room on the other side.

Ahhhh..I can't wait to return some day!!

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

For us the location of Golden Paradise was perfect. We had all the privacy we wanted and only a short walk into town. Gabriel, assisted in anything we needed. A lovely island.

6. Re: Return From Holbox !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 06:29