We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling/WS Tours

NNY State
10 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling/WS Tours

Howdy....Packing-up for the Yucatan trip and have questions about snorkeling, at which we are completely inexperienced, but plan on changing that. We are bringing our own gear -- newly puchased.

Is flotation used for swimmin' with the sharks? Pfds (life jackets), snorkel vests, wet suits?

I bought these snorkel vests based on a recommendation.....Dunno. Seems the pfds we use for whitewater kayaking are quite superior. A pfd is bulky, but I'm thinking about packing them. Anybody ever wear one on a plane? I am serious. :) Would have to take it off to fit in the seat, I realize.

Look, crazy couple here. Our motto is, "We don't suffer from insanity, we enjoy every minute of it."

Plan on bringing "shorty" wet suits. Useful?

We'll be snorkeling cenotes as well as coastal beaches and the WS thing. I suppose that crocs inhabit some cenotes. Do people get eaten occasionally? Happens in Florida. We hear the news.

We have 2 boat dives booked for the reef off the Caribbean coast, but that won't be until the end of the trip.

Feedback mucho appreciated!!

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Are you decent swimmers? If so, I'd say only your shorties are 'needed'. Obviously you could do without them as well, but nice to wear under the BC's when diving and a little warmth if in the water for a while. I am an okay swimmer and have never used any flotation for snorkeling. Not that it isn't convenient if you're just tooling around, but I'd hate to waste my packing space! The boats you'll be on have life vests, the cenotes...I guess you're on your own...

I have never heard of the crocs during any of our Mexico trips, hmmm?? I suppose you could try feeding them your pfd and hope that satisfies them! :)

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Crocs in the cenotes? No. We leave the people-eating to the alligators in Florida :)

The gulf water is really very warm in August. You can wear a wetsuit if you'd like, but it's not necessary. Do get some experience snorkeling before you try to keep up with the whale sharks. The guide will make sure you drown. Only the guide and 2 people are allowed in the water at one time.

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Does the guide drown one or both of the snorkelers? Or is it like the bear in the woods...you just have to out swim the OTHER snorkeler?

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

That's funny, emme. I blew that one, didn't I?

I've been taking care of a post-surgery husband all week, and obviously I'm even more tired than I realized. Hopefully the guides don't drown anyone ;)

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Oh, phew! My husband and I were just doing a little packing for our trip and I was thinking to myself: he'll out swim me for sure...should I weight his fins?? Ha!

Hope recovery is going well!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

He's much better, thanks. It may take me a couple of weeks to recover though:). Fortunately we have 2 weeks on the island coming up soon - looking forward to the R&R

Georgia
Level Contributor
201 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

We're in Holbox now, and it's almost like bath water near shore. Going out to the sharks tomorrow, and will report on coditions there.

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Wouldn't take your wet suits. Water very warm. Cenotes are cold, but your not in that long to warrant. The whale shark tour and snorkeling tours provide life jackets that you have to wear. We do always take our mask and fins to snorkel on our own. Enjoy!!!

Georgia
Level Contributor
201 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Howard Monty is correct. No need for set suit of any kind. The water was very comfortable this morning, and each group of 2 snorkelers and guide is in the water maybe 5 minutes. You can't keep up with the sharks any longer than that, and then it's the next couple's turn. Largest one we swam with wss about 25 feet. We swam with a couple of younger ones, too, about 15 feet. Saw manta rays, southern stingrays, a ton of small brown rays, flamingos, and dolphins on our trip. The sharks were a little bit farther out than previous days, we were told--about 2 hours from Holbox, but seas pretty smooth today, August 10.

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling/WS Tours

Thanks so much for the detailed update!

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island