We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

If so, how? and how long does it take?

Can you also go from Holbox to Playa del Carmen?

loveisla
Level Contributor
71 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

Yes, but not without changing buses. You can catch a bus to the Cancun bus terminal downtown for about $45 pesos, maybe its gone up. You buy your ticket from the young men and women who sell tickets at the bus.

Then when you arrive at the downtown station, you have to go to the counter buy your ticket to Holbox - or actually to Chiquila the town where you catch the ferry to Holbox. I am not sure how much it costs but not much. Check the boards to see if there is more than one bus that day and which trip is faster. Sometimes, unless you speak Spanish, its hard to get the ticket counter employees to give you much information. If the wait is long, there is a great restaurant across from the bus station. You cross the divided roadway and head down the street or alleyway next to the grocery store parking lot, past a drug store, then a office building and Los Bisquets is on the left. According to IHX :

It's a minimum of 3 hours. It can be longer, depending on the number of stops the bus makes or if something blocks the road, i.e. a major accident, etc. Since the road construction if finally finished, the trip is usually a bit faster than it has been in the past year.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

For enough money, anything is possible. This topic has been addressed multiple times on the forum. I suggest you do a search or just start reading appropiate threads. Buen viaje!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
26 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

I have done the trip several years ago. It was a piece of cake and I speak no Espanol. We bought tix in Cancun and took the bus to Chiquila. In Chiquila catch the ferry/boat to Holbox. I think boat runs every 1/2 hour or hour. We took a late night bus from cancun simply because it was a long ride...so we slept and arrived in Chiquila in the early am. I'm guessing they have quicker bus routes now compared to several years ago...but it's an option. We got a hotel when we got there.. I posted a few years ago on the name of the place we stayed. It was awesome bungalow type rooms...family owned. I bought fresh fish in the early am from the boats that came in, brought it back to where we stayed, and "dad" cooked up a meal for us, while the son took us out on the boat to Bird Island and a Cenote island. Was awesome and so inexpesive.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

The last bus from Cancun to Chiquila leaves at 1:30pm, and it has been so since at least 2001. It's approximately a 3 hour trip. The ferries depart about every 2 hours with an extra one here and there.

5. Re: Cancun airport to Holbox -- can it be done?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2010, 05:18