We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re cash on Holbox

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
59 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Question re cash on Holbox

I understand that there is no bank or ATM on Holbox. I assume $US are welcome but can you get better prices with $US or $NP on the island?

chj

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re cash on Holbox

There IS an ATM on Holbox now, however it has been out of cash for a few days. When it works it is fantastic but it is good to be prepared.

Last night on the news they held a press conference regarding the limiting of use of USD in Mexico. Personal accounts will only be able to change $1500 USD a month and small businesses $7000. This is to take control of money laundering, drug/arms trade, etc. They were especially concerned for people who work in touristed areas and are so commonly paid in USD. The point they made was that in any country in the world the currency is the currency. Imagine trying to pay for something in the US with pesos.

Back to Holbox- it takes 3 hours to get to Cancun to change those USD into usable currency so when the Dollar is near 13 you will be lucky to get 11 here on the island and understandably so.

More and more places will take credit cards on the island now but I would withdrawl from the ATM at the airport to come with pesos and then use the ATM here if it is working (and really, it should be) for more.

2. Re: Question re cash on Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 07:36