We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth staying on Holbox if going to Tulum?

portland, oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
worth staying on Holbox if going to Tulum?

We are a few kayakers/birders going to the Yucatan and planning a stay in Tulum. I read about Holbox and it sounds pretty sweet, but not sure worth going there. Our other choice is driving further and going to Laguna Bacalar which sounds like heaven. Do you know anything about that area, what side of the lake is better, etc. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated as have never been there and reading all the reviews of all places is endless and confusing. Thanks!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worth staying on Holbox if going to Tulum?

Holbox is great for birders. There is a boat trip to Bird Island and another island where you can see flamingos. I have heard that Rio Lagartos is another good spot to see wildlife. Celestun over on the western side of the Yucatan is a breeding ground for flamingos in the hundreds. I am not sure what time of year that they go there. How much time do you have?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,621 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worth staying on Holbox if going to Tulum?

It would be a difficult choice. Holbox and Bacalar are two of my favorite places. At Bacalar , as far as I know, you really only have a choice of one side of the lake. The water there is beautiful. Probably the most beautiful I have seen in Mexico.

3. Re: worth staying on Holbox if going to Tulum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:18