We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

Charleston,SC
Level Contributor
53 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

We loved our last trip to Holbox and are hoping to find another small, beautiful spot within driving distance from Cancun.....any new spots similar to Holbox we can explore? (We've been to Isle Mujeres)

Thanks in advance!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

I think Tulum or Akumal would be next on the list if you have already been to Isla.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 12:08
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,320 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

I really can't think of a place like Holbox. Few places remain as undeveloped in the area. One of my favorite places is Bacalar Lagoon but a fairly long drive south of Cancun.

If you come up with something in your search, let us know. i am always looking for such a place.

London
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

we went to holbox earlier this year and fell in love with it.

next year we've booked in 4 nights at tulum to test the waters and see if it comes close to holbox, and then we're returning to holbox for 10 nights for the remainder.

Charleston,SC
Level Contributor
53 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Has anyone been to Mahahaul? Read about it in a travel guide as still undeveloped and it sounded like a Holbox-like destination. If so, has anyone been snorkeling in the Mahahaul area (I think thin is near Bacalar Lagoon)? I will do the drive if worth the underwater experience as not finding great reef diversity or health further north. Otherwise, I will save the drive time and check out Coba, Akumal, or Tulum next visit.

Also, I am traveling with hubby and two daughters (11y.o.)

Thanks everyone!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
292 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

Robert is right - there just isn't really another place like Holbox. If you find one please let me know!!!

The only thing that might get close is Punta Allen. I have not made the treck there but just food for thought.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,320 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

I don't think you will find Mahahaul to be anything like Holbox. It is relatively undeveloped and quiet---until one of the growing number of cruise ships arrives. And it will only get worse since the state is pushing it as the next major cruise port. Bacalar Lagoon is one of my favorite places and probably the most beautiful , clear water I have seen. But still, you will find nothing like Holbox, in my opinion.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

A little further afield is Placencia in Belize. I was there in 2002 when it was basically still a fishing village with a small tourism industry much like Holbox. I took a boat trip to Monkey River town to see wildlife including manatees. The reef is a good half hour away but has good snorkeling and diving I understand. They have recently paved the terrible road so more development will be on its inevitable way. Visit soon before it's charm is gone.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,320 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

Agree about P. in Belize. I think one thing that has saved Holbox for so long is that it is somewhat difficult and time consuming to reach from Cancun. In my opinion, the proximity to Cancun has worked against Isla Mujeres as far as becoming overdeveloped goes.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

Only places that are challenging to get to have a chance to slow over development. The long drive from the airport and rumors of swarms of mosquitoes, and stinky seaweed keep droves of visitors away from Holbox. And that's a good thing.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,320 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking similar experience to Holbox in Yukatan/Quintana Roo

I agree. Keep those reports coming. It may prevent over development for awhile.

One bad thing for Holbox , in my opinion, is that it is in the State of Quintana Roo and not the adjacent State of Yucatan. Quintana Roo never seems to see a building project they don´t like, no matter its impact on the ecology. The Yucatan seems to excercise much more control.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island