We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do we get there?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do we get there?

Looking at a vacation in Holbox in December with our teenage children. Just started researching everything. How do we get to Holbox from the airport in Cancun? Any other pointers would also be appreciated.

Slocan, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How do we get there?

There are many posts on this, I suggest Adventure Holbox for a transfer from airport to the Isla. Jesus is very good. Transfer includes ferry and taxi to your hotel.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 13:06
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: How do we get there?

I just booked my first trip to Isla Holbox, based in large part on information and opinions found on this forum.

Just thought I would add my .02 cents on the Cancun transfer. My hotel (vAmaité Hotel & Spa) has advised they will arrange private transfer for 2 adults for $280 round trip. This is substantially less than Canada Transfers at $390 USD and Adventure Holbox at $320 USD. I'm still exploring options, but so far the hotel's rate is he best one I have.

I am considering just hiring a cab from Cancun airport to Chiquila. Anyone have any idea what I would pay for the cab fare? The ferry is just a few bucks from there and I am sure I can get a golf cart taxi from the ferry dock to the hotel for next to nothing.

Kenai
Level Contributor
692 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How do we get there?

The road from Cancun to Chiquilla is full of dips, turns, topes and potholes. Our transfer driver (Holbox Adventures) knew where every single one of them were... He drove about 80 mph, safely, due to this knowledge I don't recommend taking a taxi from the airport. Keep in mind that Holbox Adventures includes the ferry and cab to hotel costs... And the owner (Jesus) lives on Holbox and is a wealth of info. He runs a cab company of golf carts on the island. In the summer months he does Whale Shark tours... Just saying'.... WE found his acquaintance invaluable... he arranged a fishing trip and went out with us for the same cost we were quoted a couple different places. Our captain was great fun although he spoke no english.. A great memory from that day...

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How do we get there?

Looking for updated driving directions to HOLBOX from Airport? Drove there 3 years ago and just checking to see if much has changed. Took the short cut, south out of the airport and then back west and north. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
181 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How do we get there?

On original topic, our hotel has the transfer priced at $140 each way for two of us. I could only get a quote of $160 from the independent operators. Everyone citing increased taxes, fuel, etc. I tried to negotiate online but got nowhere. Anyone else find a better deal? I tried Canada Tours, Holbox Tours and a couple of others I can;t remember.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How do we get there?

About three weeks ago we used Eduardo Garcia of My Cancun Transport [garciagrimaldo@hotmail.com]. The cost for three of us RT from the airport to the Chiquila ferry was $3400 MX or about $260 US (not including tip). The added cost for the ferry and golf cart taxi worked out to about $10 each. The vehicle was a Chevy Suburban in very good condition, and the driver (Fernando) was careful and a good conversationalist, although he seems to speak very little English. We were completely satisfied with the service and felt the price was fair.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How do we get there?

we used Cancun Transfers last time and they are amazing and better value. just checked now and there cheaper than others out there. really friendly service great big fancy suv's . we are using them again :)

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
596 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How do we get there?

How long does it typically take to get to the ferry from CUN with private transfers?

If we took the ADO from the airport...do we go to the ADO bus station in downtown CUN and then get on another bus? Would all of our luggage be welcomed on the bus?

What does it mean a 2nd class bus? What is the difference?

Is there a way I can look at the ADO bus schedule online to determine the schedule/price?

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
596 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How do we get there?

I have read a lot more posts on this forum now and have all my questions answered...Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,419 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How do we get there?

Did you find the bus schedules? Only asking since they are not on the ADO site.