We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockwell, Iowa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just returned from our week in paradise and I might add we did not enjoy getting off the plane and driving in a snow storm for two hours to our home in Iowa.

Our shuttle service we used was Cancun Vans round trip $215 US and they were fantastic. Jose was our driver both days and he is was so accommodating. We arrived at lunch time and he found a nice little stop for us to have fish tacos and a few beverages. He also had Corona and water in a cooler for our ride. When we came off the ferry to come home he pulled up as we walked off the ferry.

We stayed at the La Palapa and were extremely happy with the hotel. We were in #4 and had a remarkable view out of our window and terrace. The rooms were very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful in every way. We had breakfast at a number of the restaurants and had excellent meals each time. Our favorite lunch and dinner experience was at the Villa Mar, the best fish tacos on the island and for dinner I had fish and my wife lobster and they were both amazing.

We also had a great breakfast and dinner at the Cosa Nostra Restaurant, my wife had pasta ( very good ) and I had an Encrusted Tuna Steak ( something I would probably never try ) back home but it was very good. Also the chef and waiters at the restaurant were very accommodating and took very good care of us on the beach. We had pizza twice at the Pizzeria Edelyn twice and both were excellent. We had a dinner at Viva Zapata and loved the atmosphere, I had fish and my wife shrimp while the portions were large we were not crazy about the flavor, but I am thinking it is just our taste as they were always very busy. We had a dinner at El Chaplin for the fresh catch of the day and was also a good experience. We rented a cart for 4 hours this cost 400 pesos and we explored both ends of the island, I would suggest that you do this. I know in the forum it is said that you can walk the entire island easily. I love to walk and walked each morning un and down the beach, but my wife would have had a chance to see the entire island without the cart. I would add I did stay off the beach with the cart.

The ferry ride was 100 pesos each way, 70 for locals.

Great experience and already look forward to a return.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading about one of my favorite places. Only problem I saw was Corona in the vans cooler. I would have needed to stop for real beer, ha hs.

Thanks again!

Rockwell, Iowa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

The driver was nice enough to do that as my wife will only drink Sol so he was nice enough to get her some Sol while we ate our fish tacos.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

That is more like it. I can drink Sol. Actually my favorite beer in Mexico, is anything but Corona!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Muchas gracias for your post sir. Also for mentioning Cancun Vans. Their rate is the lowest I've seen so far and I have contacted them to see if I can get the same price in April.

As for the Corona v Sol debate, I believe that will require substantially more hands on research. I'll post results ASAP...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Good idea, Rickebob. To me it is a Corona vs any beer debate. It may require a lot of research. If you need help, let me know.

Rockwell, Iowa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

I wish you luck with your research, I did attempt to come to a definite conclusion during my week at Holbox. Unfortunately, I was unable to validate my experiment, oh well in the cause of science I will continue.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Robert, the only time I "like" Corona is when the other alternative is nothing at all. If my van driver can only offer me a Corona then I'll roll with it. Until we can stop for something else anyway.

Randy, I for one appreciate your dedication. I will do my level best to add reams of data to your research file. If I can remember to. BTW, did your transfer shuttle take you from Cancun airport to Chiquila? I asked them for a quote from CUN and they quoted me $380US.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Agree Rickebob, If the Corona is very cold and it is the only thing available, I will likely grin and bear it. And, if offered by a host, I won´t offend by refusing it. The good thing is, I have never seen any friends here in Mexico drink Corona in their homes, so it is rarely offered.

Will be anxious to hear the results of the research.

Rockwell, Iowa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Wow, yes it was round trip from the Cancun Airport to the Chiquli ferry. I guess I would keep looking I know there were some others that were in the $200's also but this was definitely the lowest so I jumped on it right away.

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Try Bohemia! It is by far the best beer in Mexico. Second best is Negro Modello. For some strange reason I also liked Indio. It is a lower class beer and hard to find. I had it in a restaurant in Mexico city but couldn't get a 2nd one that day or any other day the entire week. I found it later at a small store near the shrine of Guadeloupe in Mexico city. Have not seen it since.