We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semi-Emergency (not really)

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
159 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Semi-Emergency (not really)

OK. My beautiful wife is concerned about the mystery trip I have planned for our first visit to Isla Holbox. I have only asked her to accommodate a single request which is to pack in a single carryon bag. This is causing her MUCH ANXIETY as she contemplates that she will not be able to carry her normal copious quantities of sun screens, hair lotions, bug sprays, etc, ,etc, etc.

I have assured my darling one we will be able to secure the needed personal care items upon arrival even if they will be more expensive that at our local stores. May I ask for some forum wisdom on this issue? I assume our driver would have no problem helping us find a local market or farmacia where we can purchase needed potions? Ii am making too big a deal of this I know, but mi amor is stressing about the possibility of having to spend a week in the tropics without hair conditioner and I need to ease her lovely but worry-prone mind.

Muchas gracias todos

21. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 17:05
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,355 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Your take on Holbox is good Llisa. Which is exactly why I prefer it over most area resorts. Not really into glam myself, ha ha.

Eugene, Oregon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Don't worry, any thing you need is available in town. The only thing we had a hard time finding was a Latte!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Now I want to investigate the destination; I know nothing about it. Time for a bit of research.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,449 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

The wife may love Holbox or it might not be her style - we don't know. But I wouldn't let assume that her anxiety about not being able to bring her products means that she wouldn't like it or is at all high maintenance. Remember - this is a mystery trip. She doesn't know where she is going so she doesn't know what she will need. Like most women, I am sure she wants to err on the side of bringing more rather than less - be prepared and all of that. If she knew where she was going, she might be totally on board with carry on only.

Also, being particular about ones products may just mean she has sensitive skin and tricky hair. Or she may use a lot of nature - based and organic products that are not carried at every Walmart. Or she may just not want to spend ANY of her vacation in Walmart hunting down shampoo.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
159 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Thanks again everyone. TA forum members can usually be counted on for helpful responses.

As for those who think my revered femme (I love that) is spoiled, let me be the first to say YES, she is spoiled by me to the best of my ability. She deserves far more than I can offer. If you confuse being spoiled with being high maintenance that is your issue, not mine.

With regard to exceeding boundaries, rest assured I researched Isla Holbox very thoroughly before making a booking. From all I have learned the destination fits our desires precisely and I am looking forward to our first visit with excitement. We have had a number of "luxury" vacations over the years and, while that type of travel holds a certain appeal, Holbox carries a completely different yet equally desirable expectation for us.

Adventure is fine, but I lost sight of the ultimate goal of this mystery trip, which is to relax and recharge and reconnect with one another. The adventure aspect will take care of itself.

In the end, my Princess will pack her bag with her potions and creams, lotions and powders and I for one will gladly tote it for her. After all, the one who benefits most from these things is me, yes?

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Well said Rickebob. After all the back and forth regarding your question (with some questionable responses), I am wishing you all the best on your upcoming vacation. I have been to Isla Holbox three times and have already booked for our fourth trip. Like you, I have been on many "luxurious" vacations, but the vacations that hold a special place in my heart are the ones to Holbox. The minute you step foot on this lovely little island you will be hooked. Enjoy!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

BRAVO!! Or, as I say to my husband when he says something wonderful to me--"right answer"!

Long may you both reign...

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

Happy to hear that you've research Holbox and know what sort of vacation you're in for.

I know if my husband were surprising me, I'd certainly want a bit of guidance in the packing department so, without spoiling the surprise, perhaps your wife might appreciate the knowledge that she's headed to a laid-back, chill kinda place where they DON'T dress for dinner.

After all, the only thing worst than not bringing the stuff you need is lugging a load of stuff that you don't need - even if you have a chivalrous husband willing to do all the lugging!

Happy travels!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
292 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Semi-Emergency (not really)

If you are traveling via ADO to Chiquila, there is a "small" grocery store, located across from the downtown Cancun ADO station, that has a decent selection of toiletries in case you should forget anything or want some safety stock. We stock up here before heading out to Holbox or Isla Mujeres.

I'm also super lucky as I've gotten my lovely lady down to taking just a backpack (school sized - that qualifies as a free personal item - smaller than a carry on as it must fit under the seat) for 10 day trips!!! Yes - we have laundry done once during the trip.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island