We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Dollars

Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cordova, M
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
US Dollars

Hi,

We are leaving on the 12th for our first trip to Holbox. We have been to the RM many times over the past 10-12 years and have almost never had a problem using US currency. How is it on Holbox for rentals, eating etc.?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
285 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Dollars

I'd strongly suggest hitting a bank or a cambio to exchange your US$ to Peso.

You can use US$ but be prepared to receive the Gringo exchange rate of 1:10.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Dollars

The smaller the town, the more important to use pesos in my book . . . besides, it is a beautiful currency! :)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Dollars

I was able to use US currency for golf cart rental and excursions through my hotel. I paid with pesos at small restaurants and credit cards at the few pricier places. I came with dollars and pesos and got more pesos from ATMs. I had no problems that way.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Dollars

Depends on what you're doing. Most excursions are quoted in US$. Whale Shark tours, snorkeling, fly fishing, deep sea fishing even golf carts are quoted in US$. If you already have US$, I don't see the point in exchanging to pesos to pay for these. I would make sure to have pesos for stores and restaurants and all the local things you spend money on.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Dollars

As mentioned, big ticket items on Holbox like tours are fine in USD and even credit cards.

But pesos are definitely beneficial and needed for the rest (e.g. the ice cream shop, bike rental, golf cart taxi rides, grocery store, the pharmacy, etc).

Also in general, paying via local currency in my experience almost always seems to get you a better rate. (even for big ticket items)

In general I've never regretted pulling too much local currency at the local airport (typically last chance for a bank ATM with fair rate / fees whenever you go to more hidden away areas) and local currency. To avoid being stuck w/ too much currency in the end you can always settle the hotel bill partly in cash (unless hotel is all prepaid).

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
149 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Dollars

Pesos will be nice to have, especially for the restaurants and vendors. Many of the restaurants we visited did not take CC's but, as others have mentioned, the pricier establishments did. Definitely use the CUN airport ATM machine as the ATM's on the island were most always out of pesos or had a ridiculously low withdrawal limit. If our hotel had not let me use my CC to settle my final bill I would have been in a pickle.

Safe Travels!

7. Re: US Dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 13:42
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Dollars

Yes there are but they are a bit erratic. There is one on the plaza and at the Hotel Palapa that i know of. I brought pesos and dollars so I wasn't desperate for cash from ATMs.

Kenai
Level Contributor
668 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Dollars

We never had any issues withdrawing pesos from the ATMs in the 8 or 9 days we were on Hplbox. Do not wait until the day you run out to go to the ATM. Stay stocked up.. And I LOVE the "Gringo Rate" of 1:10...lol

Cordova, M
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Dollars

Hi all,

We returned a while ago and to answer my own question. You can get by using US Dollars on Holbox. We never got pesos and were fine.