We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

We are going to Holbox next year. My question to you is if it is possible to swim in the sea? From reading some messages on the forum, its seems as if that is not really possible. My husband and I like to just lie on a floatie in the water, with a cocktail in hand. We will be staying at Villas Paraiso del Mar. Many thanks

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

Sure you can swim, but at some plcaes you have to walk a ways out to be in chest deep water.

London
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

You can swim in the sea no problems - it's very pleasant.

It's quite shallow, so as the poster above says, you probably need to wade 100 yards before you can swim freely.

Not sure where you got the impression you couldn't swim there. There are nicer beaches to swim off of, but that's about the only thing.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

One of the reasons for going to Holbox was to swim in the sea. And I did; everyday I swam about 30 min. Alongside the coast. Just perfect; there is no surf. During the day At times sat in the sea watching boats going by, flamingos & albatros flying over cooling os. So, yes, you can enjoy sipping your cocktails in the sea!!!

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

Is there any place where you can see turtles if you snorkel off the beach?

If we pay to go on a snorkeling trip on a boat and ask to see turtles, could the boat captain take us to a place? I kinda sorta speak Spanish.

USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

Hi Thanks for your reply. Which hotel in Holbox did you stay? Did you enjoy it?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

Utahrd, there is plenty of turtle habitat mostly going east past all the inhabited area of the island. Would probably want to do a boat trip to see it. As far as guaranteed sitings?? Can't answer that one. Still think it is one of the nicest places to visit in Mexico. Fishing is great here.

vlakvark, swimming is excellent in Holbox. No worries!! Place to stay? My wife and I got great deal on renting a beach house. Not sure if it is still available to rent. Loved it being close to the main dock in Holbox. SUNSETS!!!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

Hey powderglut, just wondering about the beach house you rented, do you remember the name? Heading there in October and looking at a few options for accommodation.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

We rented this one. A stones throw from the main boat dock on the gulf side. I liked it for my wife and I but ...would maybe rent another larger place if I was with 1 or 2 other couples.

flipkey.com/holbox-island-vacation-rentals/…

9. Re: Swimming in the sea at Isla Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island
Recent Conversations