We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting vacation homes in OBX

VA
6 posts
Save Topic
Renting vacation homes in OBX

My husband, daughter and I are planning a vacation for early September to the OBX and I have been searching for an oceanfront house to rent. We have found some good options, but they are all through a realty company. Before agreeing to one of those options and paying the accompanying fees, I was curious if anyone had suggestions for individual landlords to contact. Are there good sources for finding individual landlords?

TIA!

Alice

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
500 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

I have not used this myself, but I have always heard of it. www.vrbo.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner) is somewhere you might want to look for more information.

If you change your mind and decide to go with a rental agency I have had good experiences with Kitty Dunes (www.kittydunes.com) and Wright Property Management (www.wpmobx.com).

Hope you enjoy your trip to the Outer Banks---we always do!!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

Another suggestion..if you are staying on the Hatteras side try OuterBeachs.com. They were wonderful. We've been going to OBX for 25 years and this was our first year on the Hatteras side and I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras
Hatteras
Hatteras Island, NC
NC
Level Contributor
596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

We stay on Hatteras and I have found that it is just as cheap to book through an agency as to VRBO. I have no idea why its like that on the Outer Banks...but it is. If you look at other NC beaches you stand to save so money by using VRBO or vacationrentals.com or some sight like them.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras
Hatteras
Hatteras Island, NC
MEDINA
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

We rented a house for April. We found it on cyberrentals.com, sent an inquiry to the owner. He replied and said that he uses a management company for his property. They tack on $100 plus a $50 insurance fee. Plus tax. The owner lowered our rent by $100 to cover the fee. We have used cyberrentals in other places many times with no added fees or taxes, so I don't know if this is true of all outerbanks houses or not. I was just glad the guy gave us the $100 off!

Good luck! We leave in a week - I can't wait!

Diana

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

A little way down on this link someone said they noticed the rentals by owner were higher on the Outer Banks than rental agencies.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g616326-i10763-k10…

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

ahq05, from reading the other posts it doesn't seem like you'll save much money by renting from a private owner. Looks like the owners want you to buy renters insurance and pay the 14% in taxes. Two homes we rented during our OBX stays required immediate maintenance (leaking toilet and plugged pool filter). We'd much rather spend the extra money for the assurance of a quick responding repairman, rather than calling the absentee landlord and hoping he/she will do something. If you're looking to save money why not just find yourself an oceanfront condo or motel/hotel.

Steve

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

The rates are really good in September....and even better if you can wait till the next price break, say mid Sept. The listings will tell you where their price change is.

8. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2007, 22:47
9. Re: Renting vacation homes in OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 11:23