We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is Hurricane Season??

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
When is Hurricane Season??

Is it safe to stay at the end of Aug. ?? If I book the end of june is trip ins. still recomended? Thanks in advance.

Outer Banks Wild Horse Tour
13 Reviews
from US$50.00*
Free Cancellation
Wild Horse Tour from Virginia Beach
10 Reviews
from US$65.00*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Surf Lesson on the Outer...
1 Review
from US$79.50*
Free Cancellation
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
500 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

I would say that no matter when you go trip insurance is a must since not only does it save you in situations like hurricanes, but also many other situations that would keep you from making your trip. (Check out sites like www.travelinsured.com or www.travelsafe.com for more information). As for hurricane season I would say things start to really pick up around mid to late August. It's really such a hit or miss when it comes to where or when a hurricane will hit. It's scary since the OBX hasn't had a major storm in the past couple of years, but I would say as a rule of thumb the later in the season the more likely the weather will get rough. My husband and I were at Kitty Hawk when Katrina hit the gulf a couple of years ago and it really opened our eyes to the importance of trip insurance and planning ahead. We like going the last week of August and/or the first week of September since the crowds are less (and the rental prices) and we just cross our fingers! I guess that's all you really can do!

Mentioned in this post
OBX Campground
OBX Campground
50 Reviews
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

Thank you so much that really helps.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

I concur - Hurricane season used to be June-Oct. But, now with the El Ninos and La Ninas, that's not set. If you have a sizable investment in your lodging I also suggest trip insurance. Statistics say you'll be OK, but the peace of mind is worth the extra money. Best wishes.

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

i live near cape lookout nc, it is very unusual for hurricanes to hit

here before the end of august. i would recommend june because

there is less chance of tropical weather, the mosquitos aren't as bad and the tempertures may be more tolerable. I doubt you would

need trip insurance in june, but that may be more of a risk than

you would want to take.

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

I agree that June is better than August. July and August on the Outer Banks is pretty miserable as far as heat and bugs go. My husband and I went to Ocracoke in September and we bought the trip insurance due to the fact that we were going during "hurricane season". Thankfully, we were able to go on our trip without any trouble with the weather. If you're worried about weather related issues in June, I wouldn't worry. Hurricanes really don't kick up until September and October. If that's why you want trip insurance, I wouldn't get it.

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
6. Re: When is Hurricane Season??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 04:16