We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and flys in September?

New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Weather and flys in September?

We're thinking about renting a place for the week of Sept 8 through the 15th. Someone I work with said the biting flies (greenheads and black flies) are really bad that time of year - like you can't sist out on the beach or on your deck. Is this true? Also - is it still ghastly hot and humid or can we expect some nice weather? He also told me we have greatrer than a 60% chance of being evacuated because of a hurricane. Is he just trying to spoil my plans or is it true? Please advise.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and flys in September?

I wouldn't let any of that sway you from making plans.

Yes, September is a part of that dreaded hurricane season...but the season starts in June and ends in November - many people still come.

And it really depends on where you're going to stay if you need to worry about the biting flies. I've been camping on a few deserted areas around North Carolina (Portsmouth Island, for example) and the flies there can be a real hassle unless you stay on the beach where the wind helps keep them away...but I keep going back, so it's not THAT bad.

I think the peak season for the biting flies is actually July and really, it's not a big problem for anyone who spends time at the Outer Banks during the summer (and that includes me). Also, like many other places, you do have to deal with mosquitoes at night - but those citronella torches/candles usually do the trick on the deck.

The weather is about what you'd expect for September. It will be hot and humid, unless we have some good weather...and it's entirely possible that it could be just that kooky. The important thing to note is that the water will still be warm.

September is actually a somewhat decent time to visit because the crowds begin to wane after Labor Day. You do run the risk of a hurricane, but it's rare that we're dealing with one every other day. And it's one of the few natural events that the weather folks can predict a few days in advance.

I hope this helps.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and flys in September?

I totally agree with the previous poster. September is my favorite month in Nags Head, and we take our house off the rental market Labor Day, just so we can take advantage of it. The water is warm until the end of September, and there are lots of beautiful fall days then. Also the breeze on the ocean side generally keeps the bugs away, so just don't stay soundside if you are worried about that. Make sure you get vacation insurance from your rental agency in case you have to evacuate, which is highly unlikely. Most times, you can get back on the island the next day anyway. We worry much more about Northeasters than hurricanes.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and flys in September?

Also I have to agree. My husband and I have rented a home the first week of September this year for many reasons. Even though there seems to be a greater chance of a hurricane later in the season we just buy rental insurance and cross our fingers. Unfortunately there just isn't any way of knowing what will hit and what won't. I wouldn't say 60% though! We had the most beautiful week 2 years ago in Kitty Hawk the same week Katrina hit the gulf. We prefer the last week of August to around the middle of September for our trip since the weather temps are still in the low to mid 80s, and the ocean water is still warm as well. We like to take advantage of the crowds being less too. We are just a husband and wife (and 2 dogs) vacationing and it's nice for us since a lot of the larger family groups are gone by this time since children are back in school. I am also very prone to mosquitos and I haven't had any real problems on the outer banks any of the several trips we have made in the past couple of years. I worry more about getting on my sunscreen than bug spray since the windy conditions that are always present on the outer banks (I believe) keep the bugs from being prevalent (at least near the beach anyway). Perhaps if you are staying or traveling further inland or hiking to see parts of the sound you should pack your bug spray, but if you are primarily hanging out near the beach (like us) you shouldn't have problems. My husband and I truly enjoy the outer banks and I'm sure after your first trip there you will feel the same!

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and flys in September?

You don't say which area you are looing into, but we vacation in Corolla, so if you are looking at that area of the Outer Banks, then here's what I can tell you.

We have never noticed a big problem with flies in any month.

September is a great time to go -- fewer crowds, cheaper rates, warm water, terrific weather.

As far as hurricanes go, you just never know. We've had them in July, August and September over the last 15 years. Some years there's more than one and some years there aren't any. Purchase the travel insurance and you will have piece of mind.

Have a great time!

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and flys in September?

My husband and I stayed on Ocracoke the first week in September last year. The only time we ran into issues with flies was when we went over to Portsmouth Island. It's a great time to be on the Outer Banks!

In regards to the hurricanes, I can tell you that the NC coast usually gets hit with hurricanes in September and October if we are going to get hit at all. When I made my reservations, I bit the bullet and bought the insurance. I hated to do it, but I really would have hated to lose all that money we paid on the house. I think your friend's 60% is a bit high, but I haven't really done the math. Personally, I say book it, do the insurance, and come on down!

6. Re: Weather and flys in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 15:19