We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

Hi all- my family has a house reserved in Kitty Hawk for a week in August and we are driving down from Connecticut. It's a Saturday to Saturday rental and with an 8 month old in tow I am trying to keep the driving time to a minimum. Keeping in mind the legendary weekend traffic on the Outer Banks in the summer and the baby, I am planning on driving through the night on Friday (so that the baby can sleep) and arriving Sat morning. Three years ago we drove down and took the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel and cut off considerable I-95 traffic since we skipped the Balt-DC-Richmond corridor. However, that was in October, when traffic is greatly reduced as compared to Aug. Would you suggest I try it again? Since I would be driving through these rural costal areas in the wee hours am I correct to assume traffic will be bareable? Thanks!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

We've been using Rt 13 to get to the CBBT (and then thru to Nags Head) for the last 6 years. We always go the 4th week of August. The only heavy traffic we've ever run into was in Salisbury, Maryland and of course at the Wright Memorial Bridge onto the island. I don't think you'll have any problems during the wee hours. You had mentioned you were checking in Saturday morning. Most home rental agencies don't allow check-in until 3-4 PM. What will you be doing to kill time?

Steve

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

Thanks for the advice scw. We will go to the beach and hang out all day- go to lunch, etc. We also have friends who will already be down there in Nags Head (Fri-Fri rental) and they said we can hang with them if needed.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
497 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

I can't really comment on coming on the CBBT, but I will pass along two websites that might be able to help you with your decision. I had used the DOT sites before, but lately I think they have really improved the features for travelers.

www.virginiadot.org/travel gives numerous options ranging from maps to commuter info to major constuction. They also have traffic cameras that you can check out perhaps during the expected time of travel to see just how the traffic is moving. It doesn't look like they have cameras for the CBBT, but they do have lots for the VA Beach/Hampton Roads area where you would be picking up 168 to head to the obx. It also has lots of cameras up and down I-95 so perhaps checking them out as well can make your decision about traveling through there at night.

www.ncdot.org/traffictravel also has lots of features that might help you once you get on 168. Once again I'm suggesting looking at the traffic cameras to plot your timing with traffic. The first camera on your route is on 158/168 in Barco and they continue to the outer banks and through to South Nags Head. Personally I think this useful information and my husband and I plan on using it before our trip down there late this summer.

Hope this helped and you have a safe & wonderful trip!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
427 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

Definately use Rt 13. I live right off 95 in Richmond. The traffic is terrible in the summer. Its always a standstill, as is 64. There has been lots of discussion about this on obxconnection.com if you search the archives.

VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

Most of my family drove down from NY, CT and MA and those who took 13 had a much easier trip then those that opted to stick with 95.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

I agree with the previous posters. Rt 13 is really a much better and quicker route. Avoid 95 at all coast.

The trip is really scenic too and traffic is not a problem. Have made this trip from DE to Va Beach many times.

CT
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

We've gone down from Stratford and will again next summer. Take I-95 in NJ to exit 7, then I-295 to the Delaware Mem. Bridge, then Rt 13 through DE and over the bridge/tunnel. Much less stress than going I-95 all the way, where a simple accident can shut you down for hours. I-295 parallels the NJ Turnpike but is much less likely to be backed up for the bridge. Rt 13 through DE has speed limits and some lights but it's pretty painless.

Get in early and hit the beach or kill time shopping to avoid the afternoon rush.

Enjoy.

8. Re: Should I take the Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel to OBX?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:24