We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outer bank or virginia beach

wood ridge new...
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
outer bank or virginia beach

anyone tell me differences between - we've been to neither.

thanks!

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

See the topic above yours that is "2 young females. " The responses pretty much sum up the differences.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

The differences are huge, in my opinion.

Va Beach is much more of a "city" kind of beach - board walk, lots of big hotels, t-shirt shops, etc. all right along the beach. To me it seems very "touristy" (even though both beaches are full of tourists). If you are into a big night life and lots of singles and young people then maybe I would choose Va Beach over Outer Banks.

The outer banks is more spread out. There are definitely lots of restaurants and shops, but they are not all right on the the beach. Most of the beach roads have cottages for rent with a few hotels and restaraunts mixed in. It is a very family friendly beach with something for everyone. There are great attractions to visit - Jockey's Ridge, The Lost Colony, the Aquarium, lighthouses nearby, etc. In my opinion, the Outer Banks is a MUCH better place to vacation and one of our favorite places to go.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

As far as beaches go, its the Outer Banks, hands down (that's where people from Virginia Beach go to the beach. Va. Beach does offer proximity to Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, the chesapeake bay, and even Williamsburg with lots of history, military sites, Naval warships and the like, but it's a different kind of visit.

Antigua
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

I'd choose the Outer Banks for a family vacation.

wood ridge new...
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

Thanks for the info - I think we're going to do the outer banks...

Looking forward to something different than the jersey shore.

6. Re: outer bank or virginia beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations