We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Albany NY
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Last year, the folks at Surf or Sound took my $350 security deposit as a result of a "broken hot tub cover". No, we didn't break it and NO, they didn't honor the "peace of mind" renters insurance policy I bought through them.

Now, I've received word that they pulled this scam on someone else on this board--this time for $500.

Greedy and amoral is no way to go through life. Karma will be a b**ch, methinks.

Please share your Surf or Scam stories...

dave

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
486 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Don't have an experience to share with them, BUT I am thankful you shared yours so that I won't use them in the future!

So sorry to hear about you getting ripped off!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

I am being scamed for $500.00 for a hot tub cover Surf or Sound Realty says we damaged. We did not damage the cover. Make sure when booking with any Realty company you read the fine print.

Another compaint about Surf or Sound is they don't guarantee anything. The house we rented said it was handicap friendly. It had an elevator, a ramp and handicap bedroom. It was also suppose to have a shared boardwalk to the beach. Well it wasn't built in time for our rental. Surf or Sound says they don't guarantee this sort of thing. Thank God we didn't have a person in a wheel chair. This house should be fine in a couple of weeks but just know this...Surf or Sound Realty doesn't guarantee anything. They don't guarantee airconditioning, pools, hot tubs etc. If it breaks they will try to fix in a timely maner. "Timely Maner" is what ever they see fit.

They won't credit any money back to your rental either if something is not working.

Read the fine print!!

Cadillac, MI
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

They are making the money on us aren't they! Our hot tub cover cost $150 + the peace of mind insurance! Did anyone else get a picture (of the cover) from Surf or Sound without a date? Ours didn't have the date, it could have happened anytime. I wonder if the other renters for these houses have had the same problem? I haven't had a problem with any other rental agency down there, but this is twice with Surf or Sound. The first time everyone in the house (eight of us) got a staph infection from the hot tub. We ended up taking my teenage step daughter to the walk in clinic in Hatteras (before there was one in Avon), Surf or Sound didn't really care!

NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

We just received a Priority Mail yesterday from Surf or Sound alledging we chipped a porcelain sink and the cost to repair it is $475. We didn't chip the sink... and they are going to charge our credit card.

The oven was horrible.. apparently the cleaning people attempted to clean what was all burnt up on the bottom with oven cleaner and left it so when we turned on the oven to heat it up - the smell was horrible and we had to scrape the bottom of it up just to use it.

The interent did *not* work and wasn't fixed until 3 days later. Hot tub didn't work either.. and that wasn't fixed til Wed.. mid trip.

We don't know where to do with this chip in the sink! We didn't purchase the "Peace of mind" waiver..

NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

I need to also add that the mail came almost two months after our vacation was over.

NC
Level Contributor
475 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Surf or Sound pissed me off about 10 years ago and have never even considered using them since. The folks over at Hatteras Realty are great...We have been using them since. This year the place we booked ended up being a crap-hole in need of much repair...the girls over at HR went out of there way to make sure we were completly satisfied by showing us several houses and letting us pick the one we wanted. All I have to say is that it was one of the best customer service experiences I've ever seen...and I'm in the travel business myself.

Level Contributor
83 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Wow we leave at the end of this mo -

Is this just a problem for Surf?

I once used Twiddy and had no problems - I am now worried --

Albany NY
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

I can only speak of my experience and refer you the the other Surf or Scam stories on this thread. If you are using Surf or Scam, I WOULD be worried.

I don't think its possible that any rental agency could be worse...

dave

VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

We had 5 homes through Carolina Designs and no one had any problems. Plus, their customer service was fantastic. When we arrived on Sat, our ice maer was not working and they sent someone in 15 minutes who got us hooked up and going.

NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf or Sound Realty--a pattern emerges

Be very aware!

To show us the chipped sink, they took a picture and photo copied it to show us... in the day and age of Digital photo's.. this quality photo is horrible! There's no date on the picture.. how do I know when it was taken? We left there June 9th, they had an estimate drawn up on June 30th.. weeks later and then on July 30th.. a WHOLE month later we get a bill?? Are you kidding me ?

They claim the housekeeping and maintence also acknowledges this sink was chipped by us.. amazing they noticed considering the housekeeping didn't notice the mess they left us in the oven that we couldn't even use the thing (sprayed oven cleaner on a self cleaning oven and left it so when we heated it up.. it reeked and we had to scrape it up to use it) and the maintence didn't notice the hot tub or internet didn't work but hey.. they noticed the chipped sink?

Oh yeah.. I am *real* encouraged here.. and my husband called the person he needs to talk to and she's away the rest of the week.. doesn't that just figure?

I think if it were me.. and I had already signed up to use Surf or Sound, I'd have someone do a walk through with me before and after for protection.