We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvo, Cape Hatteras

tampa, florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Salvo, Cape Hatteras

i am planning a trip for my family to go to the outer banks, NC. I have gone in the past and always stayed in Duck, sounthern shores, or kitty hawk. Now i am planning another trip and found a house i would like to rent in Salvo on Cape Hatteras. I am courious as to what the area is like. Are here places to go mini golfing? Place to eat? Bars? There will be nine adults and two young teenagers. Just want to now if Salvo is out in the middle of nowhere or is there a lot around. Thanks

NC
Level Contributor
491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

There isn't alot around but there are several good restrarunts and there is an amusement park a few minutes away that has go carts and mini golf. Avon is 15 minutes or so south and they have a couple restraunts and shops and NH/KH is about 35 minutes or so to the north.

You'll like the Salvo area.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

We just got back from Rodanthe. The area is growing , but if you're looking for things for the teens to do, stay in the KH/KDH/NH areas. The amusement park area known as Waterfall Action Park is a rip off. I've never seen more that 2-3 cars there. Lots of the equipment is broken or in different stages of disrepair. It's also way too expensive. The waves were so big in front of our house that the only people out were the surfer dudes. My wife spent a lot of time driving north to do her shopping, too.

Steve

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

'Out in the middle of nowhere' hits the nail on the head. I personally loved the Salvo/Rodanthe/Waves area, but its nor for everyone. Fishing is the main attraction -- it offers generous streches of uncrowded beaches, some undeveloped. If you want to chill on the beach all day, then drive a half hour into Kitty Hawk in the evening for dinner/shopping/games, it could fit the bill.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

There are lots of fans of this area on obxconnection.com. Most houses now are well equipped for entertainment. So unless you are going to get tired of each other or like to shop alot, you will enjoy the peace and quiet that makes it different from northern beaches.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

I have to agree with OBXBarb! We loved that end of the OBX. We have stayed in the Nags Head area for 25 years moving farther and farther down as the area grew. Last year we tried Salvo and loved it. We made the drive up to Nags Head several times with no problems and it was always a delight to arrive back at our quiet little street.

Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

OBX Bum

Thanks for the review. I have been torn about booking something more north to be close to everything, or go a bit more south and be a bit more quiet. After reading your post I am leaning toward the Salvo area. We stayed in Newport Beach, CA. on the quiet Balboa Penninsula end last June and I found the teens really enjoyed the beach over everything. We took a ride to Laguna one morning to see what the fuss is all about, and they asked to go back "to our own beach." I noticed a lot of the homes offered in the Salvo area are equiped with all kinds of stuff, and I figure if we venture out a couple days to see the historical sites, KH or NH that will break things up OK. The only drawback I can see is they did like to bike/walk to a local place for ice cream etc., so I wonder if any town in the Salvo area would be a better fit than another.

Thanks so much,

Buggie

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

Buggie,

Have you considered Ocracoke? You have the best of both worlds, restaurants, bars, and shops, but without the crowds of the northern beaches. The kids can walk or ride bikes for ice cream everyday.

No mini golf on the island, but plenty of other things to do, my 15 year old has never seemed to mind, it is amazing how much fun kids can have without the "entertainment".

No ocean front homes though, if that is something you are set on.

Send me a private email if you want more information.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

Buggie...I will try to find the street we stayed on as we walked every night after dinner to a small ice cream shop. Never had to hit the main road (which is not a bad road at all) and by the 3rd night the young man behind the counter remembered us and what we always ordered. It was quite a treat!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

Here is the link:

ncbeaches.com/OuterBanks/…

This was just minutes from our house so I would look for streets in that area!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salvo, Cape Hatteras

Hatteras Village might be worth looking into as well. Terrific beach, some shops, grocery store, general store, ice cream etc. Plenty of Oceanfront Homes and you can hop on the ferry for a day in Ocracoke. I personally like the beach better than in the Salvo area and there is a much better selection of restaurants.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks