We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX - Trip Interrupted

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
OBX - Trip Interrupted

We just got back from Rodanthe (Yo Ho Ho) last night. Our original plans had been to stay in Nags Head, but some PA renters burnt the house down in June. We stopped overnight half way down at the Sunset Beach Resort in Cape Charles, VA. I had reserved a suite, but ended up getting a regular room. The front desk clerk gave us the room for $99, plus a roll-away bed for no charge. I had expected to cook breakfast in the suite, but ended up using the microwave oven in the motels kitchen instead. We also got to listen to the hard rock band playing down at the beachfront cafe up until midnight. Couldn't wait to check out. Arrived a few minutes early, but we were allowed to check in. The house was beautiful. I think it was built in early 2006. After repeatedly climbing the 47 steps to the top a few times and unloading everything, we settled in. The phone rings later that night and we find out my sister-in-law has died. My parents drive down to watch the kids for us. Tuesday (105F heat index) night a storm comes thru so hard the front door warps and allows rain water to come in. We travel the 350 miles back home Wednesday (68F) for the viewing, service and fellowship luncheon. We return late Thursday night. Friday morning Midgett Realty calls and asks us to vacate the house for a few hours so they can show the house to prospective buyers. (Note to self - never rent a house that is for sale). We visit the aquarium and have lunch at Big Al's. Saturday we rent wave runners ($65!!!! each) for 1/2 an hour and then hit the beach and pool for the last time. We stopped at the Smoothie Cafe near MP1 on the way home. I recommend it for a delicious, cold refreshing non-alcoholic drink. I forgot to mention that we listened to car and truck traffic all night long out on Rt 12. Never rent a house that is near the main road. I need a vacation from my vacation.

Steve

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX - Trip Interrupted

Hi Steve,

I was just going back through my messages and thought I'd check to see how your OBX trip went. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. The rest of the trip didn't sound all that relaxing either! I, personally, don't think the realty co. should do showings while the home is occupied by renters (unless they forewarned you about that being a possiblility before reserving it).

We haven't made it up to Knoebel's yet, however, my husband's company was treated to a 3-night stay at Kingsmill Resort & Spa in Williamsburg. WOW! What a place. You could tell everything had been created with the guests in mind. I highly recommend it, but I think it's a bit pricey. (it was paid for, so I'm not sure exactly how pricey, but we could tell it was definitely up there!)

Maybe we'll make it up to Knoebel's next year...

Take care,

Lori

2. Re: OBX - Trip Interrupted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 00:16