We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

We are going for the July 4th week. Coming from Long Island NY. I am not overly excited to drive the 10-12hrs. Is there a flight route to get there with being able to rent a car? I am being told there is no direct way to fly?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

Norfolk Va airport (ORF) is used most often by visitors to the Outer Banks. You would have to rent a car and the drive time to OBX is about 2 hr depending on where you are staying. Good luck and enjoy the 4th.

CT
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

If you add in the time you spend driving to the airport, waiting to board, flying down, getting a rental and eventually getting to your home, it's not much different than if you were to drive.

We do it from CT and the drive isn't really too bad.

1. Don't take I-95. Go through Dover, DE, Salisbury, MD and the bridge/tunnel into VA. It generally has been a nice, easy ride.

2. Split the trip if you can. We've stayed overnight in Salisbury in the past and will stay in Exmore, VA this summer. Paying for a hotel won't be an issue if you had been thinking about paying for flights and a rental car.

3.Splitting the trip like that also makes it easier to get into OBX early in the day before it usually gets badly backed up. Pack for a day hitting some shops or on the beach, since you may not be able to get into your home until late afternoon.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

eagvent

I have heard that your route may be the best, i am traveling down from NJ, and I will be using a GPS, do you know if all i have to do is get to Dover and then I'll be fine from there or will the GPS keep telling me to get back to 95? I don't know if you know the answer or not but, I'm basically looking for exact direction from Dover to the Outerbanks using your route, do you know where I can find them? Also how long of a drive from Dover is it until you get to the Outerbanks?

CT
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

graffij1,

I'd leave the GPS turned off until you get into VA. It's very, very simple to that point and the GPS won't add anything other than possible confusion.

1. Take the NJ Turnpike all the way down and over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into DE.

2. Shortly after going over the bridge, take Rt 1 (also Rt 13) south to Dover.

3. Just south of Dover, stay on Rt 13 through Harrington and Seaford.

4. Continue on Rt 13 through Salisbury, MD and proceed into VA. There's not much here. You'll go through Onley and Exmore, and end at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

5. Now in Norfolk, VA, take I-64 south, then Rt 168 south into NC.

6. Near barco, NC, leave Rt 168 and go to Rt 158 south. That leads you straight down to the bridge to OBX.

None of this is tricky. If you must, turn on your GPS at the CBBT.

Hope you found this helpful. Yahoo or Google maps will show you the step-by-step too if you need to visualize.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

great thanks, i'll be traveling with two kids ages 2 and 9, is there anything cool to see on the way down, we won't be in much of a rush being the other parties in the house will arrive first and will open the house up, so i figure i'll let the traffic work itself out and then i'll try to do the final strech to Corolla later on that night i'm thinking around 7, i've read the traffic on the way in is bruttle.

CT
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

I don't think there's much down there other than the CBBT itself. It has a rest station in the middle where you can get out for a snack and check out the river. There are occasionally naval ships in sight.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

Rt 13 thru Delaware is notoriously famous for it's speed traps. I would recommend taking Rt 113 instead of 13. It'll bring you out south of Salisbury, MD ( a real traffic nightmare area) where you can pick up Rt 13 again.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

If you do drive down the Delwaware/Maryland of a summer weekend, keep you eye out for bbq chicken being sold by the side of the road, usually by church groups, rotary clubs, that kind of thing. Great chicken, worth the stop, way better than fast food.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

scw i like the idea of 113 instead of 13, according to the cbbt website 113 has only 19 traffic lights where 13 has 35, but looking at a map it looks like traffic may be trouble on a saturday in the summer due to its closeness to ocean city maryland...or is that not an issue???

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From NY to Outer Banks Best Way?

We traveled Route 113 instead of Route 13 just for a change of scenery, not realizing what a great road it is. Sometimes I felt as though no one else knew the road existed! My wife's sister died while we were in the OBX during late August '07. We drove the road 4 times that week and didn't have any problems with beach traffic. I learned the hard way that vacation insurance is worth the price.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations