We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks Vacation

Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Outer Banks Vacation

We are looking into renting a house in obx in early July. What area would you recommend? We are looking at Kill Devil Hills, Duck and Southern Shores. Any advise would be helpful.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

We go each mid-July each summer and prefer the Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk area. The reasons are as follows:

1. This area (Nags Head also) is easy access once you get onto the Outer Banks. There is a four lane road (hwy 158) that goes through these towns so it makes it quicker and easier to get to our rental home after the long drive (we meet friends from the Finger Lakes region in New York).

2. It almost really doesn't matter which house you rent, you are a max of three blocks from the beach and you usually have some sort of ocean view.

3. Easier beach access (if you are not oceanfront) with life guarded beaches. Can walk from most rentals.

4. Very easy access to groceries, restaurants, water activities and rentals, shopping, go-carts, fishing (both pier and charter), etc.

5. The other reason is that further north you go, the chances that the water in the rental home is not great. Most homes have a filtration system, but the rental companies do not guarantee the water quality. It doesn't seem to bother anyone on this forum that has rented in these areas, but I'm nont chancing it.

We always rent from Joe Lamb Jr. (three different homes in six years) and have been very happy with the quality of each home as well as the rental agency's service.

Regardless where you rent, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. The Outer Banks is such a relaxing and fun family vacation destination. A great place to have fun and rejuvinate!

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

Just wanted to address point number 5 from the poster above. Many, many, many homes in the northern beach areas have now made the switch to municple water. No odor/color issues with it whatsoever.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

Foredecs,

Thank you for that information. All the rental catalogs have a disclaimer about the water quality - so it's always made me nervous to even bother with one of the home further north.

Thanks again!

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

Born,

No problem. Whatever area of the Outer Banks you choose, you will have a wonderful trip. The southern section (Hatteras, etc) has its charm, the middle (Kitty Hawk, KDH, Nags Head, Southern Shores) has many activities besides the beach, and the northern part (Duck and Corolla) has wide open beaches and a wide selection of home styles.

Good luck on you search.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

I would recommend staying farther North on the peninsula. Duck and Southern Shores are OK, although I think Corolla is the most beautiful and uncrowded of all of them (unless you have 4wd and go further north). Kill Devil Hills is too developed and, sorry, a bit ugly in my opinion.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

re: water quality - we have stayed in several homes in Corolla and never had a water problem. Many homes have now been converted to city water and will advertise as such.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,989 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

From Duck and all points north of Duck are really nice. Anything south is the older area and more crowded together.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

We have stayed in Duck twice and are going back this year. We really like the Four Seasons Development - many different rental companies have properties there - Carolina Designs, Twiddy and I think ResortQuest (at least we rented from them a few years ago). The houses in the development are on the newer side and you are close to restaurants and shopping.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

in response to cmac96. I just sent my $$ in for a large rental house in the Four Seasons community. Rented through ResortQuest. I will be traveling with 5 teens. I hope we picked the right location. Do you know if this area is popular with families with teens?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outer Banks Vacation

Families are everywhere, and I am sure your teens will find lots to do for fun. The beach, pool, just hanging out at the house always did it for our group of kids!

Have Fun!