We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving BACK to Wisconsin

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Driving BACK to Wisconsin

OK, all plans made to Ocracoke in June. Now, which route to take back. From Asheville I am driving 40-64-264-64-12. On the way back, I want to go through Virginia and hit some historic/battlegrounds sites, and then eventually connect with I70 so we can buzz back to Wisconsin quickly, since by then we are out of vacation time. It needs to be a mostly northwestern route, or some combination. Any advice from anyone?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving BACK to Wisconsin

Unsure of what you are looking for in battle grounds I guess Richmond or Petersburg is a good one then up to Manassas would be on you way north too. Here is a Site you can plan your trip

www.civilwartraveler.com/EAST/VA/index.html

Once heading north from the outer banks I would head towards 64 personally I like taking 460 to Petersburg and you can hit what ever you like in the way of battlefields in the way of Petersburg Richmond area. .Take 95 up to 234 the Manassas exit there are plenty of places to stay in Manassas and lots to see too, head west on 66 from Manassas to 81 up to I70 or go farther north on 15 threw Leesburg and on up to Gettysburg Pa. too also a great battlefield if time permits

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving BACK to Wisconsin

fish oinc, I knew you would have advice. Thanks.

3. Re: Driving BACK to Wisconsin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 22:16