We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

We're looking for an East Coast, driveable, beach trip from the Harrisburg, PA area. Been to Ocean City, MD every summer as a kid 25 years ago but would rather find somewhere other than a place like that where it's full of drunk high school kids. Seems like OBX would definitely be top of the list, though we've never been in the area.

It'll be our first beach trip with an 18-month old, so asking for suggestions on where to stay for just two thirty-something parents and the little one.

We've got time off in early June. OK to go then? Still time to find a place or too late already?

Only other option we've considered at this point is just to hit a Caribbean island, but somewhat hesitant with the baby, so hoping for a US trip this time around.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

The Outer Banks would be a fantastic place for your 1st beach trip w/ a youngin. My parents took multiple times as a kid (the earliest was age 2).

Early June is nice b/c its before the main peak season. My husband & I usually go the 2nd week of June. Just as a heads up though, the ocean is usually only about 70-73 that time of year. Which may be too cold for your taste, but swimming in a pool would be fine.

There's still time for you to find a place, but I would book soon if I were you.

The town's all have their own sort of feel, so depending on how close you want to be to restaurants or shopping & other conveniences would determine the town you'd want to stay in.

A great place to get more info & to ask questions is obxconnection.com (there is a very active message board there w/ plenty of people to give you further input).

Regards.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

I am now 30 and have been going to OBX since I was 2, and typically go 2 or 3x a year. I just love it there. Its more of a family friendly atmosphere.

Each town has something different to offer, so it all depends on what you are looking for. Personally I like Ocracoke the best as it is a quaint quiet village, and a little more secluded. You can only get there by ferry.

But I also enjoy Southern Nags Head, so I can be close to all the shops, and take little trips to see all of the Outer Banks.

Others on this board like Duck and Corolla, because of the family feel and its village like feel.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

We love Corolla and Duck... beautiful beaches, family oriented, many, many house rentals. Most houses are huge, but you may be able to find something in Corolla Light that is more suited to 3 people. Shopping and groceries near by, but nothing tacky like in Nags Head.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

Just to inform you, I wouldnt say you would find tacky places in Nags Head or any other part of the outer banks for that matter.

The previous poster may be referring to the fact that Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk have some chain stores such as Wings. But unlike Myrtle Beach or other such beaches, these stores are are by the vast minority, not the majority.

The Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk stretch are favorites for many Outer Banks visitors. I can assure you these areas are nothing like Ocean City.

While there are 'quieter', 'more quaint' areas of the outer banks, Nags Head is quite nice so don't let someone attach the image of 'tacky' to it.

Like I mentioned before, the town's all have their own feel, so depending on how close you want to be to conveniences & the atmosphere you are looking for would determine the town you'd want to stay in.

Regards

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Our only problem now is that we don't have a full week (likely Sun 6/8 thru Thu 6/12) and harder to find a rental for small family anyway.

Seems like the Hampton Inn in Corolla might fit the bill just to get our feet wet for our first visit due to our constraints??? Looks like it gets many positive reviews for those in our situation.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

The Hampton Inn looks nice. I also think the Sanderling Inn is very nice - I have never stayed there but they have a few on-site restaurants which are very good. It is a little closer to Nags Head, etc. than Hampton Inn if you want to explore those places, although not much. Also, the Inn at Corolla Light looks very nice as well, although I have never stayed there. I always rent houses. The nice thing about the Inn at Corolla Light is that there are nice walking paths that you can walk on the sound (beautiful) and lead to the Currituck lighthouse, the Whalehead club, etc. Also, it is a wonderful place for biking as well, particularly the Inn at Corolla Light, as the bike paths are not as congested as the ones in Duck, and you can bike to the lighthouse, etc. as well. Good luck; I think you will enjoy any of them.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

We too have a limited vacation time of only 5 days and if you want to drive a little further south, we booked a room for 4 nights right on the ocean front in Buxton (where the Hatteras lighthouse is) and it is very affordable. Have not actually been there yet but thought I'd let you know there are neat places there like the Lighthouse View with a nice ocean front pool, Cape Hatteras motel and there was also a really nice bed and breakfast that I came across called the Inn on Pamlico Sound. If you want a place to yourself, they have a few oceanfront "cabanas" you can get for less than a week through Dolphin Realty. These places all got really good reviews however I will say again that I haven't stayed there yet. We chose this location because we didn't want the busy touristy stuff either. It's just us with our 2 teenage daughters. I've heard it is very laid back and quiet there. Hope this helps.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

Both the Sanderling and the Hampton Inn in Corolla are beautiful in great natural settings. The Hampton Inn is not your typical one...it looks more upscale than others. Lots of decking out to the beach. If you get a room in the bottom of the U shape of the hotel...and on a high floor...you will have a full ocean view. We discovered that those rooms with ocean view are less than the 'officially' oceanfront rooms at the tip of the U shape. And yet a great view.

The Sanderling is wonderful. I'm thinking the prices must be higher but if you can do it it's great...lots of attention to little details and they not long ago had a multi million dollar renovation.

You can do word searches for more info on the forum too by typing, say, the words Corolla Hampton Inn on the NC forum, which catches all the responses from all the areas in NC.

It's a whole 'nuther world. Beautiful. And early June will be warm enough without too much heat. Remember lots of lotion. And good kites for night time on the beach.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

We're staying at the Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas on a time share exchange. Can anyone five me feedback about this place?

Thanks, S

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for 1st time visitors?

Any recommendations for 1.5yr old kid friendly restaurants in the Corolla-Duck area?

Still looking into either the Hampton Inn or Sanderling now. Thanks for other suggestions, but 7+ hours is going to be far enough with the little one for now. Maybe can try a little farther south next trip when she's a bit older and more entertainable.