We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Baltimore

United States
Level Contributor
39 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Baltimore

Greetings all,

I've seen the recommendations for people driving down from the Northeast to bypass 95 and go via Dover and Salisbury. If anyone from the Central MD area could comment on 95 vs the eastern shore route, I'd appreciate it. We're renting a home in Kitty Hawk from a co-worker of mine, looks like we are going during peak July/August.

Thanks

qsman

MD
Level Contributor
779 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Baltimore

I've been traveling from Baltimore to the Banks for over 15 years. I would never choose the eastern shore as a 95 alternative, just to slow for me. There's a better alternative available. Take 695 to 97. Head south to 301 and look for the left hand turn onto 17 in Port Royal. Yes, 301 through 'til Waldorf is a pain because it's like York Rd, lots of traffic and stop lights, so get through there early. But once past Waldorf it isn't too bad. Warning, the 301 bridge from Maryland to Virginia is a fairly steep run (straight up and staight down and narrow) - if you haven't experienced it, it can rattle some drivers the first time over.

Once you get on 17, that runs parallel to 95 all the way down to Williamsburg. Keep it under 60 (seriously, they watch), but it's a very stress free way to go. Just set cruise control and forget about it. You'll never appreciate it until you get stuck on 95 just once. Now, I don't even think about it. Once you cross over the York River into Yorktown, it's only a few miles down to route 105 (a left at a traffic light with McDonald's on the left) which will take you over to Williamsburg. Look for exit to route 64 and head south. From there, follow signs to Nagshead/Outer Banks from 64 to 664, then back to 64 for 8 miles (I think), then on to 168 which turns into 158. 158 leads you right into the Outer Banks via the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge.

It should only take about 6.5 to 7 hours (leaving room for a few rest stops) via that route. 95 might cut a half hour off, but the risks are huge. I got stuck at least 6 times in massive back-ups before learning my lesson.

Hope that helps.

David

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
428 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Baltimore

If you can leave early, you might just want to go 95/295/64. Try to be in North Carolina by 11 or 12. The traffic around from the beach and around Richmond is usually heavy north early (check out is 10:00 from the beach, check in is 3:00.

MD
Level Contributor
779 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Baltimore

The problem with the previous suggestion is that the majority of 95's nightmares occur north of Richmond, where the author is coming from.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Baltimore

I have relatives in Baltimore and when they came to my OBX wedding they came down the 301/17 route. As previous poster said watch your speed on 17, esp. in the area of Tappahannock, VA. The cops sit and wait for out of state people going to the beach.

Have a good trip!

MD
Level Contributor
779 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Baltimore

They understandably figure if they have to endure all that traffic, they might as well collect some income so the town can benefit. I have two strategies for route 17, (1) just set my cruise control for 59 and resist the temptation to play with it, or (2) get behind someone who's going faster and stay 1/2 mile back treating that person as my runner, if there are traps, he gets to run it and I just look for brake lights.

6. Re: Driving from Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:22
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks