We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

NH
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snakes

What's the likelihood of encountering a snake this summer in the OBX? I'd like to avoid them if possible.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes

All I can tell you is they are there. Have been traveling to the OBX since 1978 and the only time I have personally seen snakes is on the nature trails.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes

Well if you happen to be walking with me, it is very likely that you will see one, my family and friends call me the 'snake magnet". I have seen several in Avon, right at the rental house. Up in Corolla, walking through a residential setting. And, in Ocracoke on more than several occasions.

Chances are though, you will not encounter any, but they are there. Don't walk through tall grass or wade in unfamiliar streams. When I told some locals on Ocracoke that I had seen a snake, some were surprised by it, they had never seen one... ever!

I am petrified of snakes, but still have been going OBX for 20+ years so you will be fine!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes

There are snakes here, but mostly in the wooded areas, and in the sound. If you walk along the shores of the sound they are sometimes in the grasses, so be acreful. You should not see one unless you go exploring in the less travelled areas. Have fun, and don't worry about them!!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
628 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes

any of these snakes poisonous??

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes

Yes. There are Copperheads, and Cottonmouth Water Moccasins here.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who wants to avoid snakes!!!

I have another reptile question, are there alligators around the OBX area?

That's #2 wildlife I don't want to encounter in my lifetime next to poisonous snakes, LOL!!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes

Definitely no worries with regards to alligators. You would have to go further south to see them.

Are you concerned with black bears? Ocracoke had one wandering aroung a year ago....

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes

No, black bears don't bother me...in fact, I have a few as neighbors, who from time to time will venture through my yard. Last month they decapitated my birdfeeder, lol.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes

Yikes!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes

I would love to be able to see bears, as long as they were outside, and I was inside! There are lots of bears right near OBX in the East Lake area. I have never seen one there, but know several people who have seen them in that area.