We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roughing it on the beach?

Clayton, NC
2 posts
Save Topic
Roughing it on the beach?

I am interested in tent camping on the beach with my family ...my wife and two girls 11 and 13 years old. We go to Myrtle Beach all the time and are looking for something completely different. Are there any places that allow tent camping on the beach? I would also like to surf fish at the same place. Ideally I would like to camp beside my 4WD truck on the beach and be a pretty good distance away from other campers.

Also are there any places that allow ATVs or small dirt bikes (doesn't have to be the same place as the campsite).

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
698 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

I am not aware of anything as you describe for camping. There is a campground on Ocracoke that offers very little shade.

Right now there is restricted beach access for several areas of Cape Hatteras National Seashore due to nesting birds. There are very few areas that you are even allowed to drive on the beach.

There is a KOA in Rodanthe. It think it allows tents. The campground is oceanfront but your tent may not be. Again, there is very little shade.

I'm sorry I'm not much help.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

There is also a campground in Frisco that has tent sites, but they are not oceanfront, and there will be other campsites close by. Not sure of any place that will provide what you have described above, but if you find it, please let me know!

As far as dirt bikes and ATV's, do not bring them to the beach. The dunes and beaches are very fragile, and this type of "beach driving" is not well accepted. As the previous poster stated, there are currently very restricted areas for any type of beach driving, so you need to check where the restricted areas are to see where you will have beach driving, and access ability.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

No camping is allowed any where on the beach and with the recent restrictions there isn’t a lot of places to access the beach with 4 wheel drive There are some Ocean front camp ground Camp Hatteras and the KOA in Rodanthy are both ocean front. Those are both Open and little protection from any wind the only one that I recommend is Frisco woods but they are sound side but with water front sites . Being away from other campers is not going to happen but at least here there are some trees between sites

There is also new restrictions on beach fires too. Not allowed after Midnight to 6 am

No ATV’s are allowed any where on Cape Hatteras unless you are handy cap and get a permit

Take a look at this site and click on camping it has more info for you.

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

Clayton, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

According to the Cape Lookout National Seashore website at NPS.gov (http://www.nps.gov/calo/faqs.htm), driving, camping, and camp fires are all allowed on the beaches within certain guidelines. Looking from Google Earth, there are vehicle paths all over Core Banks.

I assume from the responses this might be the only place where these things are allowed, and that access by ferry is the only option. Are the nesting birds a common seasonal occurrence? I would rather go in spring or fall anyway to avoid the heat and mosquitoes.

Anyone ever done this? I would rather not be THAT isolated from emergency services, etc. lol

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

This is true for the core banks but you need to bring every thing you need to survive including water and bug suits and spray for the night, Yeah you want Roughing it on the beach you got it here . Also remember if you have a problem of any kind you will be pretty much on your own too, I would only recommend it to the more experienced beach driver, If you got that knowledge go for it .

Not sure of where you get it but here is a link for some of them depending on where you want to go.

joannmangumvacationrentals.com/island_ferrie…

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

"Are there any places that allow tent camping on the beach? I would also like to surf fish at the same place. Ideally I would like to camp beside my 4WD truck on the beach and be a pretty good distance away from other campers."

Yes. You can do all of this at Freeman Park in Carolina Beach, NC. Just make sure to camp past Zone 6. Enjoy.

7. Re: Roughing it on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 23:16