We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motel for r&r

Central PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
motel for r&r

Hello! Hubby and I are planning an OBX trip (our 1st) in mid Aug. We will be staying for 5 nights so we have already axed the house rental idea. We are looking for a suggestion of a nice place to stay. We are needing beachfront and peace and quite. Our plan is to hang out on the beach all day and then go out to eat/drink at night. We really enjoy beach type bars w/ good food and music. We don't want to be too far away from places to eat and drink (don't mind driving less than 20 minutes). We are leaning towards Hatteras, but are open to suggestions. We have done the Myrtle Beach thing many times and are not looking for the hussle and bustle. Thanks!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motel for r&r

Finding something ocean front might be a problem as your not looking for a home that’s what is on the ocean front, there is a couple of hotel in Hatteras village that are just over the dune, you can check this site they list most of them with reviews too

www.obxconnection.com/outer-banks-hotels.htm

If beach front is not a necessary think Ocracoke there are condos and hotels around silver lake the beach is just a 10 minute drive away no hussle and bustle here as they are on island time. you can get to every eatery by Bicycle a or a short walk

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motel for r&r

I'd consider the new Hilton Garden in Kitty Hawk.

Outer Banks, NC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: motel for r&r

I highly recommend the Hampton Inn in Corolla. We have stayed there and it is very nice and ocean front. You should check housing prices, because sometimes 5 days at a hotel is more expensive, with less privacy and no ability to save money by cooking meals.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motel for r&r

Hampton Inn in Corolla is fine, but not near "beach type bars w/good food and music." I just don't think it is centrally located enough for the OP. Might depend exactly when in August - if they hit that magical somewhat off-season time period or not when the traffic lets up a tiny bit and it's not so annoying to get to KDH or Nagshead.

Similarly, I do not think Hatteras sounds like the right location either.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motel for r&r

My favorite choice is always Ocracoke, but you may want to look at the Sanderling-on the ocean or The Inn at Corolla Light/on the sound. These are both located north of Nag's Head in the Corolla/Duck area.

Corolla and Duck are more populated than Hatteras, but much less so when compared to Nag's Head and Mrytle Beach.

http://www.thesanderling.com/

http://www.corolla-inn.com/

6. Re: motel for r&r

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 00:18