We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke from inland marsh fires

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Smoke from inland marsh fires

A co-worker just returned from Nags Head. He said at times that it was like being subjected to second-hand cigarette smoke. Anybody else just get back from the OBX? Any relief in sight?

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

The fires are mainly in Hyde, Tyrrell, and Washington counties. These counties are west of OBX. I think I heard on the news last night that the fires had grown, with the wind and heat we had yesterday. We are supposed to get some storms this afternoon, and hopefully it will bring rain to that area. However the fires will probably smolder for a while.

As far as the smoke effects, most of Eastern NC is under a smoke advisory today. Not sure how long that is in effect.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

Yes it has been bad. Last night the wind shifted and the smoke came all the way to us in Va Beach. Wind shifted again and the smoke is now gone. Calls jammed 911 with people thinking houses in their neighborhoods were on fire.

They are working on it so hopefully with the cooler weather they can get it under control.

Will post any updates.

MD
Level Contributor
732 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

I read that they intend to let the fire take it's course to some degree and that they just want to control it so it doesn't take out homes or businesses. So we may be facing a smoky time all summer in OBX.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

We are supposed to go July 12th and usually drive through the area where the fire is to get there. I guess we'll have to keep checking visibility conditions to see if we need an alternate (unfortunately longer) route.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

The smoke finally made its way south to New Bern late yesterday, and is really bad today. It is also now affecting the Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach area as well.

With the heat we have been having and the dry conditions, all the fireman can do is control it, and try to prevent it from spreading further.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

We are seeing/smelling the smoke in Raleigh! It's kinda bad here today; I thought someone was burning a field or something big nearby until I heard the news. According to this article, it is starting to be seen as far east as Winston-Salem: http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3030771/

~Lisa

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

I just heard on the news it can now be smelled in a section of Va. called "Southside"...Danville, Va. They say 40,000 acres were burned at the origin.

Greensboro, NC
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

We were in the Outer Banks last week, in Corolla. The smoke was really bad a couple of days, and hard to see driving over the bridge. I am back in Greensboro this week, and its almost as bad here today as it was in the Outer Banks.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

Southside would be us-Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Va Beach etc). They are predicting more smoke to move in our area later today-I can smell it this morning.

Chesapeake, Va
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoke from inland marsh fires

We have a home in Southern Shores and the smoke was horrible this morning. Hopefully the winds will turn around and it will clear out. It's going to be a long summer! :(