We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook in dinner ideas

VA
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Cook in dinner ideas

Any suggestions on dinner ideas for a large group for cooking in? We typically do burgers & dogs, spaghetti, mexican, & seafood night.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

It was so windy during last years stay that we could not get the grill lit. Plan accordingly. All of the OBX houses we've rented have had plenty of utensils, pots, pans, etc. You'll have no problem in that area. You may want to bring a large crock pot with you, though. Plan ahead now. Ask your large group what they might like to eat. There are plenty of grocery stores to chose from.

Central PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

You could try to do a "tapas" night. When we travel with extended family we will make several little things and munch all evening. It is a very relaxed evening w/ lots of yummy snacks to share and enjoy.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

Of course in SC you have a dish called Frogmore Stew which is called low country boil by some. This is just one way to do it.

Get a big pot of water boiling, about half full (i mean big). Season the water with salt, shrimp boil pack or Old Bay, peppercorns, lemons, celery, whole onion. Once boiling add a couple of pounds of smoked sausage or kielbasa cut into small chunks. Bring back to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Next add red potatoes, whole or half depending on size with however many pieces you want per person (2 or 3 ish). Bring back to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Next add fresh corn on the cob (broken down fairly small, maybe 4 or 5 pieces per cob allowing however many pieces per person you want). Bring back to a boil and , you guessed it, boil for 5 minutes. Finally, add shrimp, shell on to the mixture and boil for 5 minutes. (for my family of 4 I would use 4 medium red potatoes, 1 ppound of kielbasa, 3 ears of fresh corn, and 1.5 to 2 punds shell on shrimp, approx. 41-50 count.) Cover a table with secveral layers of newspaper, wax paper or butcher paper and scoop the goodness our onto the table and let folks dig in. Make a salad, get some french bread, have pleny of better, cocktail sauce, and iced tea. OMG. Easy clean up, just roll up the paper.

You can embellish this by adding other shell fish with the shrimp, ie clams, mussels, small crab.

Yum

Happy Travels

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

When we travel with a large group, everyone couple is required to plan, prepare, pay for and clean up one meal for everybody. Since my lasagna travels well, I make 3- 9x11's at home, freeze them and in a day or two they are thawed and ready to bake. All I have to do is shop for and throw together a fantastic salad, put a few loaves of bread in the oven from the local bakery and I don't have to spend half my afternoon in the kitchen. This way you only tie up one of your days and the rest of the afternoons you get to watch the sunset. My friend Jayne would rather do a brunch and she'll make a few breakfast casseroles at home, find a local bakery for fresh pastries and her deed is done. I think it beats everyone tripping over each other and cutting each day short.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

travelingbeast, We'll be down in the OB in just a few short months. I printed out your boil recipe. I'm making an exception to my rule of spending only one day in the kitchen. Gotta make the boil! I can't wait. It sounds so much better than anything I've had "out." Thanks so much for sharing.

Shirley

Allamuchy, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

All fo the suggestions given are good. Something else to consider is to stop at one of the local fish / seafood markets and see what they have for fresh catch. Many of these also make their own crab cakes - - - more crab than cake!! The price is ususally very reasonable, considering what you would pay for similar in a restaurant. Easy enough to heat and serve. Coupled with corn on the cob, salad, and a cold dessert - you almost have a meal.

toronto
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

We cook all our meals at the house we rent, the restaurants in the OBX just aren't worth the money from what we have experience ( which isn't much really)

Seafood on the Grill is a must

Steaks at the Grill

Fajita's is good and easy with some chickan

Beer Can Chicken in the oven.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

51phantom, We've done beer butt chicken on the grill. Tell me, what oven temp. do you use and for how long.

Thanks

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

The boil travelingbeast is referring to is also called Beaufort Stew and is wonderful and so easyy to make and clean up! The only thing we do different is put the potatoes in first for about 15 minutes, then the smoked sausage and continue on.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cook in dinner ideas

Sounds wonderful, borntotravel! I'm getting anxious but it's still 3 months away and I don't want to wish my oh-so-precious summer days away. A long weekend in Put-In-Bay will have to hold me over till my next beach vacation.