We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Proposal Ideas

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Proposal Ideas

A friend is headed to the Outer Banks in the next few weeks, and he's thinking of proposing to his girlfriend there. However, the OBX is a new place for both of them, and I'm still a relative newcomer to the OBX area too.

Any suggestions for romantic areas or activities to research? My first thoughts went to the wild horses, Ocracoke, and the sunset over Jockey's Ridge. But with brainstorming -- the more the merrier!

Thanks.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Sun set at Hatteras landing , the deck at the visitors center at the Cape Hatteras light house or up on the light house , Sun set at Canadian hole (AKA) the haul over area below Avon.

On the Ferry to Ocracoke or at jolly Rodgers on Ocracoke , It's on the water and has great sun sets

At the Wright brothers memorial up on the hill,

Into Monster Trucks how about under the Grave digger

Might be doing that any way LOL

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

My first thought was Jockey's Ridge, although I really like the lighthouse idea. There are also a couple of restaurants that face the sound with decks and offer beautiful sunsets. Maybe at the end of one of the piers that go out into the ocean?

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

While fishing, just put the ring on a shrimp in your cooler and say "Hey babe...I need another beer and would you mind grabbing me some more bait while you're in there?" When she opens the cooler...well she gets her ring and you get your beer and bait...what could be better?

Or you could go with the really good suggestions above.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

The Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, the gazebo on the water in Manteo, over the water on one of the fishing piers, at the top of the Corolla Lighthouse along with all the other suggestions already given.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Great ideas!!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Now you will have to keep us posted on how you decided to pop the question and all the other details! :)

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

One more suggestion...the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has a full moon tour that they offer. Depending on when your friends are visiting, that might be a unique way to pop the question. One warning, I know you do have to pick up the tickets the day before. If you check with the National Park Service though, all those details are explained.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Lalatraveler,

That is a very unique idea! Unfortunately, it is being held the day before they get there. :(

But for anyone else who is interested, it's July 18:

nps.gov/caha/parknews/nps-offers-july-full-m…

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Look up the Schnooer Windfall! Beautiful pirate style schooner w/red sails that takes you out of Ocracoke for a sunset sail, no food or drink provided, but can bring alcohol (champagne anyone?). 25 bucks for the sail, and they also do private charters. I believe there is also one in Manteo, but I do not remember the name.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
603 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

My husband proposed to me on the outer banks 14 yrs. ago. It was very romantic, late at night on the beach with the moon glistening over the water so even something as simple as that is beautiful. I would also recommend the marsh at the Bodie Island Lighthouse at dusk or the grounds of the Whale Head Club in Corolla. Tell your friend , good luck.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks