We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House Rental Reviews

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
House Rental Reviews

I use Tripadvisor religiously for my travels because it’s so useful to get a good cross section of actual traveler reviews for hotels and places to go…etc. What I’d like to know is if there’s a good source of reviews for the house rentals on the Outer Banks. Maybe disguised in a forum here somewhere or on another site? I plan on returning for years to come and knowing more about the homes from other travelers would be very useful.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House Rental Reviews

None that I know of but that is a good Idea I’ll run it by another Board director and see what he thinks about putting up some thing like that

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House Rental Reviews

I think that would be a great idea! Especially for places that are privately owned, such as on VRBO.com.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House Rental Reviews

VRBO and other similar places that post and rent private homes are exactly what I had in mind.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House Rental Reviews

Fish, great idea. To add credence to the necessity of your petition, feel free to add Virginia Beach in. Lots of people want to know how reliable the desciptions of beach rental houses are. I don't know what they'd say about all this...it would be long, long lists and perhaps there's a regulation about private homes, albeit rentals, as opposed to strictly business accommodations. Don't know. But it's worth a try. PM me or whatever.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House Rental Reviews

On some of the VRBO sites, you can click on the "comments" link & see what previous guests have had to say. Obviously not what you are looking for, very time consuming, as it would be an individual owners choice of they use this option on their site, but it is something to go by.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House Rental Reviews

I did find this a review of rental companies there is room to add homes but so far no one has enterd anything

www.obxconnection.com/guide_subcategory.asp…

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: House Rental Reviews

I agree. I would love to read about the reviews on the Beach house in the Outer Banks that we book from the rental agencies. Couldnt we just have a permanent forum on the house ratings?

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House Rental Reviews

Maryella-There is no time like the present to start one. I've been reviewing and using this site for years, so it's about time to start something new. I will start an informal one and in the meantime I will check with Tripadvisor about making it a category for the OBX.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: House Rental Reviews

Thanks Jmass

We need to be able to share our opinions and thoughts about the hundreds of homes that are for rent in OBX. It would help to know the positives and negatives about each individual house and would be a great reference for those who are looking to rent and want to find out the good and bad about the homes. Since the northern Outer Banks is all about individual home rentals it would be great to have this point of reference.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: House Rental Reviews

As a rental property owner in the OBX with a family that loves to travel, this sounds like a good idea. There are a few things to keep in mind:

-Now, Trip Advisor ranks hotels based on criteria that many individuals comment on. Most OBX rentals are only available for the summer rental season (12 weeks), so there just isn't a lot of opportunity for many opinions. If we start a list of the 1000's of properties, which include townhouses and condos, will they be ranked or just listed?

-Rentals change companies and their rental name and/or number will most likely change. In this case, how will that property be identified. This can be a challenge for a single family rental house.

-Lists may need to be compiled by type of rental and by locality. The condos and townhouses are usually in a named complex, so they will be easier to find the correct property.

I have noticed when people ask about specific properties, it is hit or miss on responses. Half the time there is no response.

The same happens when discussing rental companies in general. Issues come up and may have a negative affect on an individual that also happens to know about Trip Advisor, and then posts a negative review. I'm not saying that is bad, but human nature tends to make us act when something negative occurs. This has just happened recently with a very well-known rental company that has provided great service.

I just want to make sure if this can be accomplished, it is a usable, reliable, and informative.

Just a few thoughts...