We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

michigan
Level Contributor
470 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Hi everyone. Heading to Kill Devil Hills in 2 weeks & was hoping my friends out there could help me out. Never been there & would like some info.

1. Anywhere to go eat, a hidden local gem??

2. Really want to take my kids(15&16) crabbing,where?

3.Maybe a great place to get some seafood to cook at home?

4. And the final question, Any MUST DO'S?

Thanks for any info provided!!!!!

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

You are going to be right in the thick of things. There are lots of good places to eat. You will have to drive to most of them, but there are tons of good places to eat.

Crabbing.....when my kids were 15 & 16, they crabbed all the time, but not on the ocean. Just kidding.

Austins is a good place to get seafood to cook at home.

Must do's.......don't try to do too much. Just enjoy it. However, flying kites at Jockey's Ridge is a lot of fun. The Wright Brothers' Memorial is also right there.

Check out obxconnection.com for great advice from seasoned obx vacationers and locals. Also, outerbanks.org is another good website. On the obxconnection site, just jump right in and ask LOTS of questions. People on there are very friendly and love to help out the first timers. Most of all, have fun and make lots of good memories.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

We like the Run Down Cafe in KDH.

thecoastalexplorer.com/RundownCafe/…

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Other food places, Tortuga's Lie and The Black Pelican.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

just got back from first trip to OBX with family of 15. Stayed in Corolla which was great as a more out of the way area.

Highlights are the dunes just south of Wright Brothers park. They are incredible and the kids can run around and down the dunes- do NOT go during the hot, sunny parts of the day as it will be like a dessert death march. Go at 9a or 7p or on an overcat day-spend 1-2 hours.

Jet skis are everywhere and another choice for entertainment.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Sam and Omies on the beach road at whale bone junction A hidden treasure for food a local favorite

Crabbing, there is a place under the big bridge to Manteo check this site it will give you more info on it click on crabbing

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

michigan
Level Contributor
470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Thank you all for responding!

I have read of Austins, so i think thats where we'll go! That one site was very helpful on crabbing! Thank you. Oh, I also heard of Tortugas Lie too! That is going to be the little place i think we'll go to on our adult evening.

If anyone has anymore great info please share it with me. Want this to be a great vacation!!!!!!!!!

Frasermom

Outer Banks, NC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

A day trip to Corolla and the Whalehead Club/Currituck lighthouse is worth your time as well. Go to the Tomato Patch for some awesome pizza!!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Also - go to www.obxconnection.com and join the group - dedicated to the Outer Banks - lots of friendly folks and good information.

Enjoy your trip!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

Oops - I see OhLynne already made that recommendation!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
45 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kill Devil Hills.... Advice please!!!!

if you are in kill devil hills, there is a little place on the sound where we took my nephews to watch the people crabbing in the evening. it is going to be on a little wooden pier near hayman street and the sound. approx. milepost 5.75ish.

agree that austin is the best place to get fresh fish to cook at home - so good!

must do's....jockey's ridge...possibly the wright brothers memorial...when i was young, my parents used to drag me to see the lost colony over at the waterfront theater on manteo - i appreciate it now :)

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks