We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirty Rental Homes

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Dirty Rental Homes

We have rented a beautiful home in Corolla for the past 3 summers. This year when we entered the home we found it to be in much worse condition that the previous 2 years. The carpet was very dirty, there was a ton of mold on the shower curtains, and the grass was not mowed to name a few things that we found. We wanted to swim at night last year and the flood lights did not work. This year we had the same problem. We contacted the realty company and they were very quick to remedy our concerns. I realize that these homes are used hard but I bothers me when the general upkeep of the property has gone downhill. The house that we have rented is semi-oceanfront.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

Have you used the companies people recommended on here as having had years of good experience with? I'd hate to find it was one of those gone downhill. We've always had great experiences in Corolla. I will say I have noticed a wonderful place where we stayed in Currituck Club was sold a couple of years ago and when we looked at it for potentially staying there again it looked like all the glorious bedding that made it like a fine inn was gone, as was some of the very high end furnishings. We think the new owners switched out the excellent stuff for cheaper, as is their right and as would make sense for the majority. But we were saddened because we had been happy to find such quality items at the beach.

But we have not yet had any problems with mold, lighting, dirty anything. We always bring a lot of paper plates and if we have a preference for something...say those enormous pans...we bring those ourselves so we don't feel any upset. We go to the beach to relax and I feel so bad for people who even have to think of having repair people come in.

I remember many many years ago in Ocean City Md when it rained and our kitchen and living room were flooded. We were all young and flexible families and it wasn't too humid or cold and we thought it was kind of funny and an experience to retell. (Mainly because the rest of the week was sunny and rain free or it would have gotten on the nerves of even carefree people I'm sure.) We did call to complain and got no response. What we did mind was the about 2 foot wide, 4 foot deep hole at the edge of the driveway when we had family coming in late at night who might not see it. Again no response.

But those things stay with a person. For those and other experiences we have empathy for people who have problems with their accommodations.

It might be an issue of cutbacks. Throwing a lot of employees as situations can help...but it seems there are cutbacks all around.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

Yes it was a very reputable rental company. I had the same problem in Delaware a few years ago. That rental company was worthless. They did not respond either. I don't blame the rental companies. I blame the cleaning people and property upkeep people. Surely these people are contracted through the rental companies to maintain the property adequately. The rental companies don't have time to check on the maintenance and cleaning of each house. They are probably only aware of a problem when someone complains. I hope next year will be different.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

I have rented many different houses from many different realtors - always ocean front.

In general, the houses are fairly clean. But nearly every year, something is broken -- the hot water heater, the dish washer, a TV, whatever.

There is a big turnover of owners on these properties, and like many resort places, I'm sure they have a hard time finding good seasonal help for cleaning and maintenance. (I was wondering, for instance, who they can find to drive all the way out to Corolla for a cleaning job with the price of gas these days...)

Additionally, I'm sure the renters are not particularly careful in these houses, unfortunately. Given that they are turning over these big houses in a matter of hours I would think it is quite a feat to get them clean at all!

Anyway, we never let this stuff get to us as we are outside most of the time anyway. Plus I refuse to spend my vacation stressing about somebody else's house -- I have enough stress with my own! LOL

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

Sorry to hear about the downturn in the house you enjoyed so much. It was probably sold to a new owner since your last stay.

The cleaners really do have very little time to get things in order between renters. They have a lot of houses with a lot of bedrooms. Just making up all of those beds takes a lot of time itself! Unfortunately, this means they can't always make as much note of some things as we like. Also, some cleaning crews are better than others, of course.

You would also be surprised how much wear and tear takes place in the course of a season. It amazes me how much more quickly things get broken, damaged, torn, stained or just generally dirtied over a 12 week period. Much more quickly than at home.

Try to find a good company with a good response to concerns. Also, always report things right away. The rental companies and the owners all want happy renters and hopefully, repeat vacationers.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

Soho,

Most of the rental companies do have inspectors that are supposed to be following up, and making sure the homes are properly cleaned. The responsibility is not just up to the cleaning crew. If there are true problems, let management know, and ask if they have an inspector. If a pattern emerges, the rental company can do something about it. As far as each home, they are not all inspected prior to a rentals arrival. If they were, check in would not be 4:00pm, but more like 6 or 7:00pm.

Homes should be in good shape, and clean. Mold, etc should be removed, and the basics should all be done, and done very well, if that's all they have time for.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

I own a rental property and this is a tough subject. Even though the company we use to rent our home says they send an inspector after each cleaning, and requires us to change things like shower curtains, pillows, mattress covers, etc., on a regular basis, things fall through the cracks and things break.

My wife and daughter stayed at our house in the beginning of the summer after having our first renter of the season. There was crayon on the walls, and sand on several of the beds.

The places do take a beating and we personally perform hours of rehab each year. I feel the cleaners focus on specfic areas such as the bathrooms.

Always call the rental agent as soon as you spot an issue, and if they don't respond, move to another. There are many great agencies in the OBX. You can also ask them about things like the lawn not being mowed, etc. Most of us care tremendously what our renters experience, and will do all we can to correct any problems.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

We always use Joe Lamb Jr. Upon check in, we get a sheet that needs to be filled out and returned by the next day at noon noting any major problems, if there are any. I'm assuming this is done to keep up on everything and also to charge the previous occupants for any damage they caused.

We also have a form to return upon checkout with things we notice during the week (that only you would know from living there) that is wrong or should be corrected/replaced. They also want to know if the home was cleaned upon arrival, condition of furnishings, etc. Seems to be a good, sensible system.

If you or anyone else didn't report the flood lights not working last year, how would they know they don't work. It's been my experience, if you report something's broken, they'll be out to fix it. We have had to call them for maintenance a few times, and they have been there that same day - even on Sunday! After all, they want you to come back next year.

Hope you have a better experience next year. You shouldn't have to stress about these things on vacation, especially for the expensive rental fees you pay.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
635 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

Thanks everyone for all your help. Our realty company, Corolla Classic Vacations, responded immediately. We told them about the flood lights last year. I don't know if they were ever fixed or if they were burnt out again. Grass should be mowed religiously, as we do in our own home. The grass was at least a foot high. There is a swing set on property that is sitting on bark mulch. Grass was growing up between the mulch to the point of reaching the swings. It just looked run down and not well cared for. I did express my concerns to them and next year before our vacation I plan on calling to make sure these issues don't repeat themselves. Thanks again.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

A couple of thoughts:

Maybe they didn't fix the flood lights out of concern for the sea turtles.

Also, why do houses on Outer Banks have lawns? The houses that have kept natural vegetation look so much better and are much more environmentally appropriate.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dirty Rental Homes

soho,

If I were you, I'd start looking for a new rental company. Obviously, the rental company is not keeping up with things or the owner is not willing to spend money to properly maintain the property.

Good luck!