We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Chicken needs advice

los angeles
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Chicken needs advice

Hi All,

I know this may sound odd, but..I will be in NC for work in December and have always wanted to visit the Outer Banks (even though I know it will be off-season). My question is, if I am coming from Raleigh how many bridges will I have to cross to get to Kitty Hawk? And approx. how long (and how scary) are they? I am a bit afraid of bridges, especially the really high ones and the really low ones (when its rainy and high waves). Same question on the bridge to get to Hatteras.

Again, I know its a strange question but would REALLY appreciate any insights or thoughts.

Thank you in advance!

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Chicken needs advice

I guess there are 2 bridges you will cross to get to Nagshead. The Virginia Dare bridge might give you pause - it's long and has one high part - but the next one over Roanoke Sound you won't even notice.

On the way to Hatteras you'll have to cross the Oregon Inlet bridge on Rt 12, and yeah, that's a little scary - it's high and narrow. Drive slow and try not to hit any gulls.

Breathe slowly and deeply and go for it.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Chicken needs advice

There are a few videos on You Tube that show the brdinge drives from the perspective of the car. You might want to view those.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Chicken needs advice

Sorry. Bad typing. I meant to say "bridge" drives.

4. Re: Bridge Chicken needs advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 05:25